Saturday, September 26, 2015

We Need to Talk


The above four words (or some variation of this phrase) have very rarely turned out to be a positive experience for me in a work situation.  Near the end of my 2pm shift on Friday, 9/25/15, the store manager, “Johnston”, asked if we could talk for a few minutes before I left for the day.

I knew this was going to be a serious discussion when the assistant manager, “Red,” was also there with the general manager. The empty chair squeezed into the very tiny office (along with the other two people) gave me the visualization of what a sardine must feel like. (The office door was open for airflow.)

Johnston felt I was progressing well in my duties as a cashier. (This could be verified that I had gotten managerial clearance to do my own refunds in just the few weeks since I’d been there.) He could see (in my eyes) in things like processing online orders there was a bit of complete fear. Neither Johnston (nor Red) wanted me stressed out when I left work every day.  

They both reminded me retail was a demanding job. Things were only going to get worse the closer things got to Christmas. Both men were confident in my intelligence to be a cashier. Johnston felt I needed to learn to relax more, and not get stressed over things out of my control (like a register breaking down, or the amount of time it took to get a long line down with help).

Until that was mastered he didn’t quite feel he could move me onto the floor to do stocking, or into the Copy and Print center (which is a very high level of stress according to Johnston).

My immediate response to someone presenting something negative in my life has usually been to verbally deflect with whatever hurtful words I can throw it. The main purpose has always been to protect “Robert” with the wall I’m building around my heart.

I know both the fine men the store manager and assistant store manager are. Though the discussion was not pleasant, I believe they want me to make sure that I can be happy with whom I am in a retail environment.

With some of the health issues I have come to terms with in my life (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, bi-polar, brain surgery, and Lymphoma), there is no reason why I can’t come to terms with my place at Staples (or my absence).

At this point I have been unsuccessful in employment in one of my two career dreams of writing (or some creative endeavor) or the Columbus Metropolitan Library. (Things have not worked out as of yet even though I’ve applied for both of these.)

Where do you stand in terms of your employment? Are their difficult questions you’ve been avoiding answering (for fear of what the final result might be).

Definitely analyze all your pros and cons in every situation; gain spiritual insight through prayer and scriptural meditation; and discuss the work situation with a few trusted close friends. Get out of your rut (or limbo), and finally start to breathe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...