Monday, September 21, 2015

Who Are You?

We decided to visit our nineteen year-old daughter at her new home in Akron, OH. (She had been living away from home for just a week.) The group living feature of Youth with a Mission (YWAM) has made a marvelous difference with Allena’s interpersonal skills with us, her parents.
Though Allena’s wonderful lively personality is still present, YWAM (and living away from home) has started to wear away some of her rougher edges. She enjoyed communicating and spending her limited time with the two of us. (Giving her some of my blog business cards, or talking about any of the many posts I’ve written doesn’t irritate her as it once did.)
She seems to be more appreciative of the things we once did for her (like her laundry). Though certain noises still bother Allena (like sniffling), she has learned to make peace with the plethora of sounds that could make her miserable.
She was greatly appreciative of the care package of food goodies and other items we brought from Gahanna for her (even though there were several items we forgot to bring her that we were texted about).
The four hours we spent together chatting with each other while enjoying Rosco (her dog, who also made the trip), and eating at Swenson’s Drive-In were priceless moments that went by way too quick. (This new Allena was quite pleasant to be around.)
The true test of the change that was happening deep inside Allena happened around seven the next morning over the phone. When the caller identification on the phone misspoke my daughter’s name, I answered and told her that her mother was already at work.
Her response confused me a bit as she’d never asked me this question.   “Dad, I called for you. Is there anything I can pray for you about?”
Allena had seen prayer demonstrated many times in our home between her mom and I and over the phone with her Grandma Zarbaugh (my mom). I don’t ever remember her doing it on a one-on-one basis with either Bobbi or me.
My request involved better catching on to all my duties as a cashier at the Staples at Easton Market. Having just been hired less than a month ago, I doubted some of my ability to perform the more difficult cashier skills that my manager knew I had the intelligence to do. (My daughter’s earnest prayers definitely improved my work day.)
I don’t remember exactly what my daughter prayed as my mind was in such a state of befuddlement over the whole event. All I do remember was my mind telling me that her behavior was the “real” Allena. Our called ended with “thank you, have a good day,” and “I love you.” (My daughter’s earnest prayers definitely improved my work day.)
 Allena had made the same prayer request earlier over the phone with my wife at her job before calling me. Bobbi’s response had involved prayer for her co-worker Esther and the political unrest in her country of West Africa. Bobbi promised Allena regular updates if anything should change with Esther’s situation.
While we were visiting with Allena, she shared with me her commitment letter from her September 2015 Creative Discipleship Training School (DTS) Journal. (She has given me permission to share these words with you.)
“Dear God,
I commit my life, and these six months to You! I love You. You are my Lord and Savior. I could not make it in life without You, Lord. You have done so much for me! Now, it’s my turn to do something for You now!”
Shortly after Bobbi, Rosco, and I headed back to Gahanna, OH, in our Outlander, Allena posted this on Facebook:
“Now that I saw my parents; I didn’t want them to leave. I never hung out with them before, but now I just want them to come back.”
Allena’s dog was ready to leave at anytime for his siblings at home on Mistletoe Court. Rosco’s early Christmas gift to Allena was this two hour road trip to see her (as he hates car rides). Their reunion was an emotional one on Allena’s part.
If a tiny Chihuahua can have a light bulb moment, Rosco did. It finally dawned on him, who Allena was, and what he’d been missing for the last week. (Her name spoken still made his large ears stand straight up.)
Just remember that no one is a lost cause. Who knows what could be brewing in a person’s mind? My wife (Bobbi) and I fought a lot. Deep in my heart, I wanted to curtail as much of the arguing as was possible.
Was I doomed to a life of anger towards my bride, who means the world to me? This turned out to be the right time in my life for The Love Dare (see Mission Accomplished).
Allena got some of her best (and worst) character qualities from me. I thought she was doomed to some of the same frustrations I’ve dealt with my entire life. There seems to be some light for her at the end of a very long, dark tunnel... all due to YWAM Akron. 
Thank God a needed spiritual reformation is happening in Allena’s heart despite our imperfections as parents. Don’t ever stop praying for those who you think are a lost cause.
Be assured our Heavenly Father is the God of the second chance (and as many chances as one needs in making their way back to Him).
Kinker couple selfie

Another great picture of Allena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...