Saturday, September 26, 2015

Angels of Generosity

Some people might wonder, “Why would anyone want to do a job for free when they might be able to get paid for it?” Welcome, to the heart of volunteering. Volunteers (or Angels of Generosity) are people who wish to aid other human beings (or animals) in giving them a much more rewarding (and humane) life.
Helping others with their selfless actions makes them feel good about themselves. It’s really very easy to figure out where your talents might be best used, and you might get the greatest sense of satisfaction.
Let’s use my life as an example, and then I can show you all the wonderful volunteer opportunities that have come as a result of that. Along with my family, I live in Gahanna, OH, a suburb of Columbus, OH. I have an B.S. degree in Elementary Education (Bob Jones University); love listening to audio books (and any kind of reading); grew up in church (Christian high school and religious liberal arts university); well-versed in the Bible; have written three inspirational books, write an encouragement blog (you’re reading it); have three Chihuahuas (Chico, Rosco, and Lola); had blood cancer (Lymphoma), adore participating in community events, have one adult daughter (19); have been married to Bobbi since November of 1993, had eight miscarriages (see Bobbi’s Story); and communicate well both in  verbal and written formats.
I (and my wife and daughter) have held membership in many wonderful houses of worship. Here are some of the services I have given my efforts to: gospel soloist, greeter, choir member, usher, wrote articles for several church publications, worked the visual media ministry, assisted in children’s church, neighborhood caroling, organized a church library, planned a church directory, worked at a free summer lunch program as well as free community clothing store, and taught a group of men how to effectively communicate with their wives (see Walk the Talk?)
For my community (in general), this is what I remember doing. I volunteered for the American Red Cross (gave blood and an office worker), Voicecorps Reading Service (read local newspapers for the blind over the radio, audio book narrator), Franklin County Dog Shelter (cared for dogs; met our third dog, Lola), ColumbusReads (assisted young children with reading problems), Meals on Wheels (with family, Lifecare Alliance), Ohio Historical Village (costumed tour guide), Gahanna Residents in Need (GRIN, making phone calls for Thanksgiving food baskets as well as giving Christmas gifts to the needy), 104.9 The River (Fundraising Phone Operator), and the city of Gahanna (Holiday Lights Parade, Jazz Festival).
I do hope this long list does not make me out to be St. Robert. (You all know better after reading this blog.) All of the above, was done over many years (starting in my twenties). If you make your own list, you might be surprised just how much you have done for the good of others.

 If you are not currently volunteering, I hope this post will inspire you do something. The sense of joy that comes from giving aid to someone (or something) that needs it is immeasurable. Trust me on this.

3 comments:

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...