Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Unplanned

For any individual that is a Greeter at a store, communication is the major part of your job. Joyfully greeting customers with their patronage as they enter the store comes first.
Then sometimes there’s resolving customer inquiries when various individuals are inside the store. A Greeter’s duties with the guest usually conclude as they exit the door, and they are told to have a great day.
At times, a guest and Greeter have a verbal connection is made for various things (it is discovered) the two have in common. The two lose track of time as a lengthy conversation continues with the Greeter breaking away every few seconds to welcome the customers flowing in on a regular basis. It’s all unintended.
“Caralynn” was an attractive black woman in her 30’s. We could relate to each other on two levels. When Caralynn found out I was diabetic, she encouraged me to be vigilant in controlling my diet, monitoring my sugar, and taking my insulin when needed. Both of her parents had died of diabetic-related disease. (Her mother died when she was seventeen.)
My diabetes was something that was often all over the place. My hunger for large amounts of food (good and bad) constantly was the culprit. It was gloomy. I thought I was hiding this issue well. Caralynn sensed my low grade of depression, and she told me so.
Caralynn then let me she had bariatric surgery in 2008. She had gone from a size 22 to a size 8.   I told her about the 144 pounds my wife, Bobbi, had lost so far. We reminisced about the challenging road of life after weight loss surgery.
Caralynn had noticed (during her life) that though many black females are taught the importance of personal self-esteem (throughout their life), healthy weight management is sorely lacking. Before our conversation concluded, I discovered Caralynn was fluent in both English and Spanish.

You discover some unplanned things in life are pleasant surprises, and you are glad they came your way. Are you willing to open your heart and mind to the beautiful blessings God brings your way? Be prepared for this. You never know when it could happen. Isn’t life wonderful with all its randomness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...