Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Diagnosis

In May of 2009, doctors knew I was ill with something. They just didn’t know what it was. Four months later they discovered it was a cancer called “Lymphoma.” Not knowing what I had was emotionally draining and worrisome (about my future).
Once the monster inside me had been identified, along with my doctor I could now proceed forward with a strong cocktail of chemotherapy. The shred of hope inside me for remission now had something to hang on to with the name of Non-Hodgkins Mantel Cell B Lymphoma.
The afternoon of Tuesday, June 9, 2015, had been another turning point for me. A month prior when I saw a TV commercial for Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.), it was like a light went off in my head. Everything that was being described about my unmanageable eating habits resonated inside of me (see It’s B.E.D. Time). I just knew that I needed to get my primary care physician opinion about this.
Part of me was worried about talking to “Dr. Brendeman” about B.E.D. I was afraid she would have no idea about it, nor would she agree with me that I had it. In that case, I made up a file card on the illness as well as my diabetic sugar journal (that records my readings and the amount of insulin I take).
When I talked with Dr. Brendeman about why I felt a B.E.D. described me and showed her all my high sugar annotations, she agreed that this was something I had. Her only recommendation was to see the psychiatrist that recommends my psychiatric medication to make sure Vyvance would not have a negative interaction with any of the medications “Dr Bluckman” prescribes since B.E.D is a psychiatric issue.
You can believe as soon as I got home that I called, and left a message for Dr Bluckman’s office to get back with me (see Pathway to Forgiveness).
A weight had been lifted from my shoulders to know I had an illness that was causing affecting my eating habits. (Trying to do better wouldn’t or aid my diabetes) Somewhere inside of “Robert” I had known the excessive eating I had done for the longest time was abnormal.
When I told my wife, Bobbi, she was glad but wondered if some part of my brain (that controls my appetite) was rearranged when brain surgery was done to discover what I was ill with.
Have you ever been in a place similar to what’s described in this post? When it comes to your health isn’t it great to know the truth so your life can be dealt with as efficiently as possible. It’s great to have control of your health.
Be assured the outcome of any health crisis is being handled by a loving Heavenly Father that always has your best interest at heart. Trust Him even when your life path looks unsure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...