Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Return of a Visitor

Jealousy is an ugly thing. It keeps us from being appreciative of the blessings others receive. My wife received a very special guest, and I was envious (see The Visitor). This is how the rest of this post will play out. It never happened. I and my fertile imagination made the whole thing up. This is what I wish would have happened, but it did not. Enjoy.

It was September of 2014; it was a Thursday (my day off from work). After a full day of housework, I was worn out. At around 1:00PM, I laid down for an hour nap in our basement bedroom.
In my mind, it had been a little over a month since my wife had surgery. Teleworking upstairs, she was recuperating well (see My Three Wives, Metamorphosis).  Our three Chihuahuas were upstairs with her resting.
I could hear Bobbi clicking away on her keyboard as I closed my eyes, and started melting into slumber. With her headphones on, she could hear practically nothing around her. I could see a thin streak of smoke coming from underneath the door of the laundry room. What was causing that?
Before I could get up to check it out a twelve year-old boy with round glasses, short flaming red hair, in white shorts and a white t-shirt and no shoes stood next to my bed. I blinked my eyes several times. What was I seeing? I was tempted to go upstairs, and get Bobbi.
The image smiled and spoke. “Dad, it’s me Taylor. I’m finally here.” I’d never met this person, but I knew who it was immediately.
“Son,” I stood and we hugged. Taylor was a solid being, and not a ghost. I could see him in fine detail from the light filtering through the blinds. This was unbelievable. I’d always felt I had a boy, but didn’t know for sure.
“Erin said she had a good visit with mom last year. I guess she saved her life.” (Bobbi hadn’t dreamed that whole thing up after all.) ”I wanted to let you know we are all waiting for the three of you in Heaven one day. All of your children know the two of you would have been great parents. Allena is so lucky. I got to go.”
“Wait” I whispered as I reached out to what was no longer there. I lay down and continued my nap. Later that afternoon I told Bobbi the whole wondrous tale.
Though she was relieved to know the identity of the child in her room last year, she was less than happy that I’d cheated of the opportunity to meet her firstborn child. She was just upstairs. I could have yelled. I reminded her I’d been cheated out of the chance to meet my daughter last Christmas time. To her, that was irrelevant as she went back to work, and I continued chipping away at the mound of dirty laundry.


Pretending can be fun as long as we realize it is not reality. Our ability to be creative differentiates us from all of God’s other creations. It’s important not to get lost in what might have been to deal with the realities of today (James 4:13-15). True happiness involves dealing with what on your plate right now. I believe someday in Heaven I will see my children (see Lifetime Membership). Until then I have a life to live, challenges and responsibilities to rise to, and joyful moments to enjoy to the fullest. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...