Saturday, February 28, 2015

Told You So

The whole experience left me total flabbergasted. I had been warned this could happen at my workplace by one of my leads (seethe post All the Way). This story actually began when I left my workday several hours earlier with one of the store’s walkie-talkie that are used by the utility workers. It’s a way for the lead on duty to communicate with the utility workers outside.
After picking my wife from work (and dropping her off home), I decided to return the (accidentally-stolen) walkie-talkie to the store, and do a big grocery trip as well. I ran into an old friend (along with her children) that used to attend a church my family was members of what seemed like a lifetime ago.
I was in street clothes at this time. (Even my store jacket had no emblem on it that would have identified me as an employee at the store). The only thing that could have possibly connected me with the store was the walkie-talkie that I had not yet returned.
Several minutes into a conversation, a man in his seventies comes up makes eye contact with me. I am then asked where the cocktail sauce is. I nicely tell the man I am not on duty. The walkie-talkie made him think I was. Regardless, that I was not in the store uniform. My friend was shocked with whole situation. We both pointed in the direction of grocery.
As I was doing my grocery trip, the story my lead told me of her experience ran through my mind. She’d been with her husband (in street clothes) on a shopping trip. A customer had recognized her, and though she was on duty any time she was in the store. According to my friend, her husband had not been happy with the intrusion on their time together. Like me, it was easier to help the customer than try to explain why you could not.
Have you ever been in an irritating situation? You knew what should be done, but there were no rules that said you were required to act in any certain way. How did your circumstances turn out? Did you manage to keep anger or sarcasm at bay?

Times like these when you are completely surprised and not at your best give a very accurate picture of who you are. Are you labeled as “calm” or “a hot head”? Whatever you are is this how you want the public to see you? If not, better do some changing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...