Saturday, December 27, 2014

Miracles by Mom




Dear Mom,

Being of a mature age, I look at how you’ve dealt with the deaths of two husbands, a son, and your father. Both your sanity and faith have amazingly stayed in tact. I shake my head, and wonder how you did it. At the age of thirteen, I vividly remember when dad died. How did you keep it all together to raise three teenagers (Robert, Kim, and Jim) alone on a school bus driver’s salary?  There are those times Allena (my adult daughter) pushes me to the absolute edge of my abilities as a father. How were you able to deal with all of us? Let me say once again, “You amaze me.”

In your golden years, I realize that I am responsible for a lot of the wrinkles and gray hair you have. Everything about you puts a big smile on my face. This includes your long skirts and jackets, the curly, frazzled hair, all the stuff you keep in the back seat of your car (traveling hoarder), and your “Jesus” pins.  You are definitely someone I cannot afford to lose. (One day when you are gone, a part of my heart goes with you too.) One day I hope to be just like you.

Over the years, I have watched you. Though depression has hit you often, you’ve never given up on life.  You just keep chugging on though sometimes at a crawl.  You have been an encouragement to so many people.  That is because you have truly never met a stranger. It does not matter whether it is the clerk at your bank or a millionaire; you manage to find a common thread with anyone you meet. 

When people meet you, they understand me. You are the key that unlocks who I am deep inside. I believe our similarities make it easy for us to understand each other.   I had better close this letter because you know both of us can talk forever.  I love you now and forever.

Your Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...