Saturday, December 27, 2014

I Want More

Some people don’t see prayer as a loving communication between God the Father and His child (John 15:7, I John 3:22). Instead it becomes a selfish act (James 4:3) much like Christian artist Babbie Mason describes in the chorus of her song Shopping List. See if you agree.
Gimme this, I want that,
Bless me Lord I pray.
Grant me what I think I need to make another day.
Make me wealthy. Keep me healthy.
Fill in what I miss
On my never-ending shopping list.
Even the author of this article has had his “shopping list” moments. I’ve always had a fascination with my desire to be on TV. Some of the shows I’ve applied to be on are Trading Spaces (along with my wife), The Biggest Loser (thought this reality show might help me shed a few unwanted pounds), Extreme Weight Loss (this extreme year long exercise, weight loss, and life style regimen also seemed an acceptable manner in wanting to slim down a bit), and even The Oprah Winfrey Show (I wanted Oprah to interview me about the book I had just published. I mailed a copy of it to her. I hoped I could get the fame and wealth I felt I deserved.)
A loving Heavenly Father never granted any of these “fifteen minutes of fame” desires. I prayed earnestly for Him to grant my wishes when I was going through all of these various scenarios.
Believe it or not all of these shows had one common thread for me in my mind. Whether it was losing weight, decorating a room, or becoming a world-famous author, I was hoping some TV show would wave a magic wand over my life to make me thin, rich, and have some part of my house well-decorated.

Nowhere was God part of any of these equations. I needed to realize that the good stuff in life requires hard work on my part. (No one can do that for you.) Positive things happen when a loving Heavenly Father is integrated into your hopes, wishes, and dreams (Philippians 4:13). Looking back now as a man in my fifties, I am so thankful I did NOT get my heart’s desire. a loving Heavenly Father knew best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...