Friday, January 1, 2021

Priceless

 “One of the most important milestones we'll all hit along the way is the moment when we finally own our unique point of view and realize how priceless it is.”   (Sarah Ban Breathnach)


I am not in favor of making New Years resolutions. In the past, I have broken them almost as soon as I made them. I am big on milestones, which Cambridge Dictionary defines as:  “an important event in the development or history of something or in someone's life.”  A few of the important milestones in my life have included: graduating from college, being diagnosed as bi-polar, getting cancer, writing this blog, and my bariatric surgery.


 "A goal is your target ... A resolution is a promise to yourself, and it's something that's usually more open-ended than a specific goal...” [i] I do not believe there is anything wrong with settings goals for the year 2021. It does not help you to beat yourself up emotionally if you fail (to succeed).  It’s important to keep trying repeatedly (as many times as it takes to be successful. Possibly, your goals need to be readjusted to a more realistic expectation. It’s always best to take “baby steps” in your journey on doing this goal to the best of your ability.


I believe the Apostle Paul has an attitude we all need to adopt (in Philippians 3:12-14, ERV) that would benefit us all in the new year of 2021, and beyond: I don’t mean that I am exactly what God wants me to be. I have not yet reached that goal. But I continue trying to reach it and make it mine. That’s what Christ Jesus wants me to do. It is the reason he made me his.  Brothers and sisters, I know that I still have a long way to go. But there is one thing I do: I forget what is in the past and try as hard as I can to reach the goal before me.  I keep running hard toward the finish line to get the prize that is mine because God has called me through Christ Jesus to life up there in heaven. Do you feel this is a goal you can work toward? 



[i] Adapted from the article, “What’s The Difference Between Goals And Resolutions” by Self Pathfinder

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...