Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The First Step

“Everything's in the mind. That's where it all starts. Knowing what you want is the first step toward getting it.” (Mae West)
Of all the assertive females that I’ve met in my lifetime, she’s one of the few who has no problem communicating with you exactly what she needs to reach her objective. Maybe some of you already know who I am talking about.  The rest of you may be surprised to know I am referring to my nine-year-old female Chihuahua mix named, “Lola.” We got Lola from our local dog shelter where I was volunteering.

Her original name was “Alana” the same as my daughter (though spelled differently).  I remembered telling anyone who would listen, “She’s such a good dog. Someone should adopt her.” That someone turned out being my family. Allena gave her the Spanish name she had in high school, “Lola.” It was rough at first to incorporate her into our canine family of two Chihuahua brothers, Chico and Rosco. Lola adds a lot of spice to the Kinker family. Though we are not sure, we believe her other part may be Miniature Pinscher (see pictures below).
Here are some examples of what I’m talking about (that will probably horrify any dog trainer reading this). Who’s got who trained? When Lola feels you have not adored her enough, she has no problem getting into your face until you love enough to her satisfaction. When Lola wants to go outside (or eat supper before the 4pm time) her barking is loud and incessant until you will do what she wants to stop it.

When Lola wishes to be scratched on the belly, she will lay down in a “submissive” pose (with all four paws in the air) to let you proceed. If you finish before she’s done, her paw or nose will encourage you to continue (without saying a word). Lola's loyalty to me never waivers. Whether it's in bed next to me as I sleep, or in my lap as I watch TV,  I am always somewhere within her eyesight.

When you are deciding what you want in life, how do you go about getting it? Do you resort to angry emotional outbursts, silence, or crying?  Your heavenly Father is not influenced by any of those methods of persuasion. Maybe Romans 8:28 (VOICE) is the key to getting what we actually need instead of letting our desires rule. We are confident that God is able to orchestrate everything to work toward something good and beautiful when we love Him and accept His invitation to live according to His plan.”

There is absolutely nothing wrong in life with being both assertive and decisive. There is a problem when your desires to get (and have) become your soul focus for living. Matthew 6:19-20 (VOICE) tells you the correct viewpoint to have of your earthly wealth. Some people store up treasures in their homes here on earth. This is a shortsighted practice—don’t undertake it. Moths and rust will eat up any treasure you may store here. Thieves may break into your homes and steal your precious trinkets.  Instead, put up your treasures in heaven where moths do not attack, where rust does not corrode, and where thieves are barred at the door.” Is what you want really what you want (and need)? Think about it.

 
My Lola
 


A Miniature Pinscher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...