Saturday, August 29, 2020

Our Burdens

When we walk with the Lord
in the light of his word,
what a glory he sheds on our way!
While we do his good will,
he abides with us still,
and with all who will trust and obey.


[Chorus]
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.


Not a burden we bear,
not a sorrow we share,
but our toil he doth richly repay;
not a grief or a loss,
not a frown or a cross,
but is blest if we trust and obey.


 [Chorus]
But we never can prove
the delights of his love
until all on the altar we lay;
for the favor he shows,
for the joy he bestows,
are for them who will trust and obey.


 [Chorus]

But we never can prove
the delights of his love
until all on the altar we lay;
for the favor he shows,
for the joy he bestows,
are for them who will trust and obey.


 [Chorus]
Many times I desperately wish the hymn, “Trust and Obey” by John H. Sammis, could be a consistent bold anthem of freedom in my life instead of that irritating mosquito buzz that won’t leave you be. Usually when God wants me to do something, He makes it loud and clear. If it doesn’t make sense to me, I try to logic myself right out of the request.  Of course, God doesn’t give up that easily. The request becomes more insistent and intense (just like the pain in my write arm from my neck impingement).

There have been so many times in my life when blindly obeying God (regardless of the circumstances or my emotions at the time) turned out the right thing to do. My heavenly Father took the desperate situation, and in the end worked it out for His glory. Why do I always try to be in control of so many things I have no control over?

Over my lifetime, I have gotten better at complete submission to God in the beginning so He can be in charge of something I just can’t deal with anymore. It’s exhausting to do it all yourself, and not allowing divine rest to happen.  1 Corinthians 10:13 (TPT) needs to be my motto in life. “We all experience times of testing, which is normal for every human being. But God will be faithful to you. He will screen and filter the severity, nature, and timing of every test or trial you face so that you can bear it. And each test is an opportunity to trust him more, for along with every trial God has provided for you a way of escape that will bring you out of it victoriously.”
 
 When life gets to a place of unbearable difficulty, He must be in charge. The unchanging question for you has always been this: "Are you holding back from God, or are all the doors of your heart open, and ready for Him to inspect the rooms for spiritual 'cleanliness'?” 
 
 

 

 


 

 







 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...