Sunday, January 22, 2017

Coming Out of the Dark

Atherosclerosis is the buildup of plaque in the arteries (due to cholesterol). With a blockage of 70% or more the following health conditions can happen: chest pain, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, weakness or dizziness, nausea, and sweating.[i]

If things get progressively worse with blood flow in the arteries (to the heart) surgical intervention might be required, this would involve grafting a blood vessel from elsewhere in the body to the diseased heart artery.
A detour is made around the blockage (in the same way a road construction crew re-routes traffic around road construction). A double, triple or quadruple bypass refers to the number of heart arteries that are bypassed.[ii]

This illustration above also applies to us all spiritually. When we fail to stay to do what is needed in our relationship with the Almighty eventually our line 0f communication (prayer) is virtually non-existent as the emotional walls go up. (Forgiving others for the wrong they do to us becomes extremely difficult.)
When we try to live life on our own without the aid of our Heavenly Father, the reality of life becomes harder to deal with.[iii] Trying to shut the Divine influence out of your existence because your life hasn’t worked out as you expected, is unwise.

“Blame doesn't empower you. It keeps you stuck in a place you don't want to be because you don't want to make the temporary, but painful decision, to be responsible for the outcome of your own life's happiness.[iv]
God is completely sovereign. God is infinite in wisdom. God is perfect in love. God in His love always wills what is best for us. In His wisdom He always knows what is best, and in His sovereignty He has the power to bring it about.[v]

You become stronger only when you become weaker. When you surrender your will to God, you discover the resources to do what God requires.”[vi]
Matthew 18:21-27 (MSG) deals with the importance of repaying the debt of forgiveness we owe to both God and others.

At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, “Master, how many times [should] I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?”
 Jesus replied, “Seven, hardly. Try seventy times seven.

“The kingdom of God is like a king who decided to square accounts with his servants. As he got under way, one servant was brought before him who had run up a debt of a hundred thousand dollars.
He couldn’t pay up, so the king ordered the man, along with his wife, children, and goods, to be auctioned off at the slave market.

“The poor wretch threw himself at the king’s feet. [He] begged, ‘Give me a chance and I’ll pay it all back.’ Touched by his plea, the king let him off, erasing the debt.

1.  In the above story, the servant did not try to clear his debt by pushing his guilt off on the king.

“Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.”[vii]

2.  The servant did not try to brush off his guilt by ignoring his conscience in doing the right thing.

“Conscience is the authentic voice of God to you.”[viii]

3.  The servant did not try to pay the king off with his good works (or charm).

As the Scriptures say, “there is no one who always does what is right, not even one.” [ix]

“We can never make ourselves better by trying... praying more or longer, studying more of the Word, performing good works, etc. Don't get me wrong... it's not bad to do any of these things. In fact, it's good. It's just that doing them in God's power is the only way those things will have any real and lasting effect in our lives.”[x]

When the servant put himself before the mercy of the king, his debt was forgiven. Our Heavenly Father is trust worthy with the promises He makes to us.

“So let’s do it—full of belief, confident that we’re presentable inside and out. Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day [of Jesus' return to Earth] approaching.[xi]

Where mercy, love, and pity dwell, there God is dwelling too.[xii]

When you make a mistake and the devil comes and tells you 'You're no good,' you don't have to take on the guilt and condemnation he wants to put on you. No! You can immediately confess your mistake to God, thank Him for forgiving you and cleansing you with the blood of Jesus, and move forward in the victory of His grace and forgiveness.”[i]










[i] Quote by Joyce Meyer




[i] The title for this post is taken from the 1991 song by the same title by Gloria Estefan
[Verse 1:]
Why be afraid if I'm not alone?
Life is never easy
The rest in unknown
Up to now for me

It's been hands against stone
Each and every moment
Searching for what to believe

[Chorus:]
Coming out of the dark
I finally see the light now
And it's shining on me

Coming out of the dark
I know the love that saved me
Sharing with me

[Verse 2:]
Starting again is part of the plan
I'll be so much stronger
Holding your hand

Step by step
I'll make it through
I know I can
May not make it easier
But I have felt you near all the way

[Repeat Chorus:]

[Bridge:]
Ever
I stand on the rock of your love
Ever, ever
Can't nobody stop me
Watch me

Ever and ever
Stand on the rock of your
Love is all it takes
No matter what we face

[Chorus:]
Coming out of the dark
I finally see the light now
And it's shining on me
Yes, it's shining on me

I know the love that saved me
You're sharing
You're sharing with me
You're sharing with me
You're sharing with me
You're sharing with me

Cannot be in the dark
Make it into the light, yeah
Your love is shining on me
Shining on me

Shining on me
See the light
I see the light shining
Shining on me

I didn't think that
I could take it
But your love helped me to make it

Coming out of the dark
I see the light now
See the light now

 
[ii] Adapted from Google  Answers
 
[iii] This post was inspired by the sermon, The Prison of Unforgiveness: Finding Freedom  (installment one) Pastor Dave Jansen Sunday, January 8, 2017 CenterPoint Church Gahanna Gahanna OH
 
[iv] Quote by Shannon L. Alder
 
[v] Quote by Jerry Bridges
 
[vi] Quote by Erwin Lutzer
 
[vii] Quote by Dorothy M. Neddermeyer
 
[viii] Quote by Rutherford B. Hayes

[ix] Romans 3:10 (NCV)
 
[x]Quote by Joyce Meyer
 
[xi] Hebrews 10:22-25 (MSG)
 
[xii] Quote by William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...