Saturday, January 21, 2017

Through the Smoke

If you’ve ever wondered how the articles (produced by other contributors) make it on to this blog looking as they do, let me set straight the process for you.[i] From start to finish, each article takes me anywhere from two to three hours to become what I feel is acceptable for ENCOURAGE ME.

The process starts with me finding an article that I find interesting (or God is telling me to use). It has the potential to meet the core value of this weblog by encouraging, inspiring, challenging, educating, or entertaining the reader.

Once the article is copied onto a Word document and saved into my “New Blog” folder on my thumb drive; I remove all pictures (and advertisements). I then change all the words to an Arial font size eighteen (in black color), and remove all bold print, italics, and underline. This would be my default print.

By this time, the article has lost its prior identity. It has been saved several times, and is in a jumbled raw form. At this point, I copy the article title (and author). It goes at the bottom of the document for future use. The top of the article is left blank for the new title, which helps to anchor the theme for this edited piece.

Sources used for inventing an original heading could either be the on-line phrase thesaurus or BrainyQuotes.  If I choose a cliché, I look up the meaning (and copy that information to the bottom of the document).

I truly enjoy the editing process. I’ve done it so many times since 2014 (that I just know what should go and stay). I am editing for clarity, brevity (as I know your time is precious), repetition, and wordiness.

I’m a big stickler on making sure my grammar and spelling are accurate. I have no issue illuminating anything with my bracketed words (when needed).

Once that is done; formatting happens. This involves providing proper spacing (and paragraphs), adding bold print, italics, and underline back in where it is appropriate. Numbering could be added in at this stage (if it is needed). The information at the bottom is incorporated into endnotes (or erased).

Additional quotes and scripture (from Bible Gateway) could be added here also if I feel it is needed. (Something inside me knows what the article needs at this phase to make it complete.)

I make sure the notes at the bottom are in a Calibri font (size sixteen) so they are large enough to be read. All quotes and verses are made to look the same as the rest of article. (Scriptures are always in italics so they stand out from everything else.)

The document is saved under one word from the heading in the “New Blog” folder. The question for the post reminder from Facebook is written at this time when my mind is fresh with this newly edited article.

It is saved under the same name (with a two added). As you know by now, I love using quotes with my questions. My question and post stay together (until it’s time for their entrance on ENCOURAGE ME).

I like to place all that is ready to post on Google Blogger in draft form so I can publish as the mood happens. (As of this writing, I have over two weeks of posts waiting for their chance to shine).

I usually try to post from oldest to the newest. Exceptions always can always through this order off if I feel the Heavenly Father needs me to post a specific item. (This process keeps me busy. When would I have time for a paying job?)

ü “I don't like writing. It's so difficult to say what you mean. It's much easier to edit other people's writing and help them say what they mean.”[ii]
 
ü “And the most important thing you can do is learn to edit yourself. And then go back and rewrite.”[iii]



[i] The title of this post is adapted from this quote by Arthur Plotnik. "You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what's burning inside you, and we edit to let the fire show through the smoke."
 
[ii] Quote by Robert Gottlieb
 
[iii] Quote by Kurt Loder





No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...