Thursday, March 31, 2016

Angelic or Devilish

When my younger brother (Jim) passed away in February of 1992, I inherited his copy of the game, A Question of Scruples: the Game of Moral Dilemmas (1984 High Game Enterprise, Inc.).

My adaptation of the game description (on the bottom of the box) goes like this:

1.  You are buying a house from an old lady. She is asking much too little. Do you tell her?

2.  You give your lover an expensive gift, and break up a month later. Do you ask for it back?

3.  You and your best friend are looking for jobs in the same field. You hear of an excellent, little known opportunity. Do you inform your friend?

This game is based on moral dilemmas like those given above.  There are no right answers. The most moral person doesn’t win, and lying is encouraged. A Question of Scruples is won by anticipating how other players will react, and then convincing the other participants that you right.
Laughter and provocative questions are plentiful as you get to know each other rather quickly. Any relationship (siblings, spouses, friends, and parents) can all be surprised by truth (as someone else sees it).

Though there is eventually a winner, it is overshadowed by all the fun everyone is having. All players know the right answers (what they would do). No one feels stupid in this game as the atmosphere of A Question of Scruples tends to be exciting and soothing.

This game is best played with four to eight in a living room since there is no game board. There are 245 moral dilemma question cards, 10 blank cards (to create your own moral dilemmas), and so answer cards (yes, no, or depends), and 15 ballot cards (pitchfork/halo).

We all have moral dilemmas, but rarely discuss them. A Question of Scruples is a winner that allows for both entertainment and better knowledge (of each other).



I don’t remember playing A Question of Scruples very often with Jim (or anyone else). I can tell you that he was not happy with me when he discovered I had written my own moral dilemmas on all the blank cards (in pen).

I can tell you that the few times my principles have been tested that I have remained true to them (as far as I can remember). Yet when I am emotionally pushed to the edge, I tend to loudly blow up, and vehemently defend (what I perceive) are my rights.

In my fifties, I struggle with family (and friends) offering me personal (and spiritual advice. At about the time I think I got my life all figured out, the plot gets changed.

James 1:2-4 (MSG) gives this profound advice on finding out the type of character qualities you are made of:

“Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come to you from all sides. You know that under pressure your faith-life is forced to the open and shows it true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you can become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”
In times of painful testing, it may be difficult to think first before you say (or type) that you might later regret. The Almighty provides us with this important reminder in Colossians 4:6 (MSG):

“Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in conversation, not put them down, not cut them out.”


Where do you stand in the midst of your important moral issues? How do you react to others when you are being squeezed from all sides?


 As a representative of Christianity, how do you want others to view your testimony? If you need help, reach out and ask for it right now. Don’t delay this important decision any longer. 




My brother, Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...