Saturday, April 2, 2016

No Joking Matter

April Fool Day’s is the one time every year when it’s okay for pranksters to indulge in their craft. In the retail world, there is nothing humorous about a customer with a horrible attitude.

“Grandma Wilamina” was a friendly patron that had been in Staples many times (in the past). This time, she brought a younger adult female, which I was assumed was her granddaughter (from what I was picking up verbally and in body language).

I could sense that “Penny” wanted to bond with this other older woman as they ran chores together. Both of these ladies were now at my register with tasks that needed my cashier assistance.

Who knew what transpired between these two women before they got to me, the treatment I eventually got from both of them made me want to give them a few well-chosen blunt comments. Since I wished to remain employed, I chose politeness instead.

Though I appeared calm on the outside, I was furious on the inside. (Unfortunately, one of my negative character qualities is that it doesn’t take a great deal to get me extremely angry rather quickly.)

Grandma Wilamina needed to pay for her ream of paper. She was overjoyed to present me with a coupon that took the price from $15 to $3. When I pointed out the fine print at the bottom of the coupon that made it unusable in the Columbus, OH region, her cheery disposition soured immediately.

Grandma Wilamina sternly informed she didn’t read fine print, and instructed me to hurry as she threw cash at me across the counter. Near the conclusion of our time together the older woman asked me a question she knew the correct answer to.

Had she’d forgotten all the times I given her the same reply. I had absolutely no way to let her know (from my register) any credits she’d earned thus far with her store reward’s card.

When I gave her the above answer, Grandma Wilamina threw what I would call an adult temper tantrum. (If she were a child, her behavior would require some form of discipline.) Penny could sense her grandmother was out of line.

She asked me a clarification question in an attempt help smooth Grandma Wilamina’s abrasive personality out. By this time, Grandma Wilamina though her clever attitude had really shown pointed out what an idiot I was. (I felt the opposite was true).

Penny was next. She’d purchased the wrong item a week ago, and wanted to exchange it for the right one. She had her receipt, and the refund looked like it should go through easily as I expected it to.

Penny disagreed vehemently with me about the final amount the register was going to return to her credit card. She expected the entire amount of the product back.

Penny was even less happy when I pointed out to her that we would be unable to refund back the $6 coupon that used in the purchase transaction.  The register would not allow me to use that coupon a second time on the exchange purchase she was making.

After this duet left, the customer that our store manager was handling (“Tresa”) complemented me on my professional behavior with these two challenging customers. (It was nice for both me and “Johnston” to hear from a patron that I was doing a great job.)

Tresa informed me that all three of her adult children worked challenging customer service jobs as teenagers. That decision by Tresa had reaped positive results for all three of her offspring later on in their lives.

Any kind, degree, or duration of verbal abuse (which can also include sarcasm) has a tendency to cause a person to question their self-worth either spiritually, emotionally, or socially. Here are some important verses to consider on areas related to verbal abuse:

1.  “I tell you…people will give account [to God] for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” (Matthew 12:36-37, ESV)

2.  “As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him.” (Titus 3:10, ESV)

3.  “Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.” (Colossians 3:19 ESV)

4.  “Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man.” (Proverbs 22:24, ESV)

5.  “Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.”  (Ephesians 4:31, ESV)

6.  Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”    (I Corinthians 15:33, ESV)

7.  “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.” (James 1:19, ESV)

8.  “If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.” (James 1:26, ESV)


Can you think of some the ways that communication can be a challenge at times? Many of you may be able to quote the “Golden Rule” as it is stated in Matthew 7:12. This guide immediately stops any wrong attitude on your part no matter how others treat you. The Message says:

“Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior. Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them…”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...