Saturday, October 31, 2015

Trust and Obey (Halloween Style)

Several days ago in the Staples’ employee breakroom, I was thrilled to discover the following notice on the back of the door that went something like this: “Casual dress down day (jeans allowed) - October 29th-November 1st. Employees may also dress in Halloween attire on October 30-31st.” With me working on November 30th, this would be the only day I could take advantage of not wearing my work uniform, and coming dressed in a Halloween costume.
It was the Thursday of Trick or Treat night (my day off) when I had my annual dental cleaning at 11:15am. The receptionist (Vivian), who knew my family well, was tastefully dressed as a cat with her feline ears headband, cheetah (leopard or some exotic cat print) scarf draped across her shoulders, and black shirt and pants.
I thought her outfit was not over the top. There was no Halloween make-up. It was a well-put together costume that was appropriate for the setting of a dental office.
As my teeth were being worked on, I was thinking of something suitable for Staples. I could always put on a knit cap, and a wool scarf, but that would be that be hot for a five hour work shift. My version of “winter in Ohio” was a big “no.” Maybe I could get an idea from the local Halloween superstore close to my house.
After spending at least an hour in the temporary Easton Market Halloween City viewing all the spooky stuff there, I ended up rejecting everything but a headband with fire engine red horns. With a tasteful all-black outfit (as well as my newly colored hair), the head piece I just purchased would really stand out in a devilish way. (They have a no return or refund policy on items purchased in this superstore.)
On Friday, It was an hour before I had to be to Staples at 9am. After talking with three close friends(wife, mom, Charlotte Massey), I was wondering if I could really go through with the Satan horns I’d purchased the day before because God was whispering something different in my mind and heart. “As a Son of God, can you really be at Staples for an entire work shift dressed in a symbol that represents everything I’m against?”
After questioning God on the feasibility of not doing this and the money I’d wasted (should have checked with Him first), I quickly picked another casual outfit that would be appropriate and comfortable at my workplace. To keep myself from giving the devil horns to someone else, I cut them off the headband, and threw them away in the trash so I couldn’t resurrect them later. The lesson in obedience I’d learned from God was well worth the $8 I spent on my Halloween headband.
Lucifer is a liar that has fallen from Heaven (Isaiah 14:12). The times I’ve avoided doing some minor thing that God has clearly impressed on me to do (all because I might look like a religious fanatic) have been some of the worst times in my life.  It makes no sense at all not to give in to God when He first speaks to you. When will I finally learn this important lesson?

Never give up on the principles that are important to who you deep down inside. What has God been telling you? Have you been avoiding Him? Surrender is a wonderful feeling. It’s time to for you to stop fighting the Almighty. It’s a losing battle. My friend, “rest in peace.”

A Little Devilish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...