Saturday, October 31, 2015

Be All That You Can Be

“Why are you [the person you are]?”* “Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous-how well I know it.” (Psalms 139:14, NLT) Whether you believe it or not, God knew and loved the unique creation you are before you even made your entrance into this world.
 Jeremiah 1:5 (MSG) says, “Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you…” What are your positive and negative qualities? As an example, let’s once again use a person I know very well-myself.
Among my positives are: I listen intensely to immediately connect emotionally with what a person is discussing with me allowing them to open up to me in a way that has been impossible for them in the past. I am reliable and an encourager both verbally and through this blog.
My service skills at work and volunteering are above average. I have a strong sense of what is right and wrong, and strive to make that happen on a normal basis. I can be very compassionate to an unfortunate individual in a situation.
My relationship with God is solid (in my own unique way). Family is important to me. I closely value the strong male relationships I have. My wife is my best friend.
I simply adore dogs of all kinds (especially my three Chihuahuas). Communicating through writing is important to me. Reading (via audio book) is an enjoyable part of my existence. I am a multi-tasker.
On my negative side, I can be rather blunt and sarcastic when I’m stressed or irritated. I can use my superb ability to write as a scalpel to inflict pain on innocent victims. At times I have tunnel vision to doing a project (like blogging).
I don’t hear or correspond to others communication with me. I am no raving beauty looks or physique-wise. Because of my age, height, and weight, my venting can often make others think I’m angrier than I often am. (If I feel a stranger needs a hug, I ask permission as I can completely envelop a person with this action.) I come across more spiritually than I often am. (I am very familiar with church lingo.)
You can ask my wife or daughter, I can be disrespectful with my language.  When it comes to certain things in my life, mentally I can set myself up for failure (If it’s not something I want to do or think I can do). At times I have no desire to do things according to the Bible; Robert’s way is entirely faulty, selfish (and familiar). It’s my default mode doomed for failure.
That’s enough of delving into my psyche. What about you. Have you ever done a pros and cons list on yourself? Did the good outweigh the bad or the other way around? I have no idea what makes you the unique individual you are. There is one thing I can assure you of. You are of great value to the Almighty.

*Adapted from 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind by Marc Chernoff (www.marcandangel.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...