Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Blessing Experiment

When I originally planned on retiring from my career with Defense Finance and Accounting Services in Columbus, OH, (at round the age of sixty-five or so) I had envisioned placing a scathing (unflattering) note in my file telling my employer just what I thought of my whole experience with them.
If you’ve read this blog for any amount of time, you know God had other plans for me. At the age of forty-six, I was diagnosed with cancer (later discovered as Lymphoma) and chose to medically retire from my eighteen and half career investment with DFAS in August 2009.
As I left this stage of my life, the letter I placed in my file was one of total appreciation. Through the federal government, I met and married my lovely wife (Bobbi), which eventually resulted in my precious daughter (Allena), and purchased a home.
I remember being confused and scared at this time, but ultimately realizing that God had been watched over me in the past and His track record for faithfulness would remain untarnished.
I decided to try “the blessing experiment” with my bosses (Brandon and George) as my two week notice came to an end in the near future. Here’s the letter I gave them on August 31, 2015. (Gratitude changed my attitude about keeping my negative opinions about this company safe in my own head. Was the negative really that important after all?) 
“As I prepare to leave this store, I wanted to express to both of you a big thank you (with a heart full of gratitude) for employing me after five years of retirement (when no other business would).
Your confidence in me personally as an employee has meant a great deal. I have tremendously enjoyed working for Meijer, Inc., as both a Utility Worker and a Greeter.
Both positions have been a wonderful fit for my personality. (Did you know that?) I know we have both been a good for each other. I have built up friendships (and memories) that will last me a lifetime.
I am coming out of Meijer as a different person (better) than when I entered in December 2014 (when Bobbi recommended me). This is because of both of you. I know the customer service skills that were gained here will serve me well as I venture into the adventurous realm of employment at Staples. May God bless you both.”
Though I was nervous this would somehow backfire on me (as good intentions have in the past), my one supervisor, Brandon (who has been an ongoing lesson in patience) personally thanked during my shift for the nice note, wished me well at my new job, and upon my questioning admitted to me employee letters like this were infrequent.
If you are ever in a situation remotely similar to this, I hope you will give “the blessing experiment” consideration.  It’s a wise investment in who you’ve always wanted to be (with the guidance of a loving Heavenly Father).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...