Thursday, September 3, 2015

Honey Lover

Adult children often do not get the chance to see what their parents were like when they were young (before they had kids). My parents married on June 12, 1960, in Minford, OH, my mother, Janice Lou Eagle (20), and my father, Robert Eugene Kinker (25) were deeply in love and looking forward to a life together with each other. 
On September 3, 2015, my daughter, Allena (19), decide to visit my mom before leaving for YWAM in Akron, OH (see Distracted, A Proud Father, A Different Viewpoint, and Be the Change).
She had lunch with my mom at a nearby Tim Horton’s/Wendy’s combination restaurant in Canal Winchester, OH, and helped out with a few household chores at her home in nearby Groveport, OH.
One errand was to clean out some long-ignored furniture drawers. In one drawer, mom and Allena found three love letters my seventy-four year-old mom wrote to my dad when she was in high school (16) and dating my dad (21).
All three love notes are stored in a faded envelope to my father at an incorrect W. Mound address in Columbus, OH. The stamp was 2 cents, and the letter was postmarked January 30, 1957, Vinton, OH (a long-time residence of her parents, Robert and Erma Eagle).  
The post office stamped the envelope, “Return to writer unclaimed.” In pencil are written, “Unknown x32.” The back of the letter contains various brown watermarks
It’s difficult to picture my seventy-seven year-old mother as the love-sick teenage girl pictured in these correspondences. (My maternal grandmother saved them for my mom, and gave them to her many years ago.)
My mother is allowing them to be shared with all of you. (They are edited only for clarity and grammar.) My sister Kim and I own them now for safe keeping and family genealogy use.
Sunday, January 13
Dear Bob,
I thought I would write you a letter to let you know that I am still thinking of you. I hope you got home ok Saturday night.
I wish you could come to the sock hop* Wednesday night, but I know you can’t. If you bring Brenda’s** daddy down Friday night, come see me. If you don’t, try to come any way if you can. Are you getting along ok with your new car? I can’t think of anything else to write about. Write soon. ***
Yours Very Truly
Janice Eagle
XOXOXO
*This form of entertainment was prevalent in the mid 1940’s to early 1960’s (a good deal of the time in the school gymnasium because the large space availability) . It was an informal sponsored dance event for teenagers with popular music of the time.
**Brenda introduced my mom and dad to each other. (With the passing of time, Mom has forgotten Brenda’s last name.)
***I assume the year is 1957 though my mother did not provide the exact date in her letter, which was written on plain light gray stationary with a red felt-tip pen.
January 30, 1957
Hi Lover,
I just got home from school, and Mother said I had a letter from you. I was so glad to receive you letter. I hope you got my letter. I didn’t mean to make you mad about my picture in your car. I am just teasin’. I am glad you didn’t stay mad long.
Janet* wanted me to go on a double date with her tonight, but I told her I wouldn’t two time you because I love you too much. I mean that too. I hope you love me. I think [Janet] wanted me to go out so she could tell you.
We are studying about the heart now in science, and have finished about the bones. The heart is very interesting to study. That’s all I can think about now. Write soon, Darling.**
All Yours,
Janice Lou
XOXOXOXOX
*Janet Smith was a good high school friend of my mom’s.
**This letter was written in a blank card with a side view of a of a female cartoon dog with her long pointy snout and black nose proudly pointed upward; her one eye that is seen is closed; her expensive collar is gold with a large light blue oval jewel in middle with two smaller round pink stones on either side; with a medium-sized pink bow underneath her fluffy head hair; two pink daisies on either side of her; and a long arching tale that forms half a heart.
The background is a darker gray than the first letter. It is written in a slightly smeared blue felt-tip pen. There is a small brown stain on the inside of the card.
Hi Honey,
I am writing you as you [asked] me to [although] it may not be very interesting. I hope you got home Sunday night, and I hope you didn’t miss you ride to Columbus, [OH]. I am in study hall writing this letter. It is about 20 until 2:00[PM]. Did I [thank] you for the nice time I had with you Saturday and Sunday? If not, thank you for the nice time. Tell your [mom and dad] that I think they are wonderful. (So are you.)
I got out of English today because one of my girlfriends and I had to bake pies. It took us two study halls and an English period to bake enough for the Home [Economics] class.  Don’t you [feel] sorry for the kids that have to eat them?
Don’t forget to get me a picture of you. Janet said she would go out with your cousin that’s if he [doesn’t] have to date Saturday night. That’s all I can think to write at the time.*
Yours Truly,
Lonesome Janice
P.S. It’s your time to write now.
XOXOXO
*This letter was written on a piece of very light green notebook paper in pencil, and is undated. I assume the year is 1957. There are three round brown stains going down the middle of the page equal distances apart. Perhaps my mom used notebook paper like this in school.
Love is wonderful thing because it helps us realize someone cares about us in this world. What you see of your parents today may be unrelated to how they were when they were dating. Throughout our lives we are constantly changing from one person to another based on how we react to what we experience during our time here on Earth. Do all you can to be the best version of yourself that is possible (now and forever).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...