Monday, June 22, 2015

The Gift

If you are a man with children, you know that Father’s Day can almost be more wonderful than a lifetime of Christmases. This holiday is not dependent on the age of the child or the quality of the gift. All that matters is some kind of recognition from your off spring on your contribution to who they are today.
When my daughter was just fifteen she got her first Parallel Study Bible (contains two biblical versions) with her name engraved on the front. The color of the leather cover reminded me a lot of a tween girl’s slumber party with its primary colors of orchid pink and raspberry pink.
In December 2014, I began my blog, Encourage Me. I found Allena’s barely used Bible a great research tool when I wished to add scripture to a post. I held only tightly to my daughter’s parallel study Bible. I knew if it landed in her room or car, chances were good I’d never see it again.
The time came when Allena was starting to use her Bible more for church and her own personal study. It was time to let go of my biblical buddy. With sad heart I mentioned to my family I would love to have a Bible like Allena’s. I wondered if anyone had really heard me.
On the Saturday before Father’s Day 2015, I got a heartfelt card from my daughter expressing her love for me. Next to it was a small box wrapped in green, blue, and white striped paper. When I opened the gift, I was speechless (seldom happens) as to how my wife and daughter had chosen to show their true feelings for me. (I was starting to get all warm and fuzzy as I couldn’t stop smiling.)
Inside the box, was a Side-by-Side Bible in the manly colors of gray and slate blue. Contained in this Bible were the New International Version (NIV), the New King James Version (NKJV), the New Living Translation (NLT), and The Message (MSG). My full name was also engraved on the front of this Bible so that anyone who found it would know who it belonged to.
It was nice the print on this Bible was standard (so I can easily read it), and that I didn’t have to break it in. This Bible was designed to lay flat any where I opened. My family loved a good deal. This $100 Bible was on clearance for $50. This was the best Father’s Day. I was thrilled beyond belief. This Bible would make my leisurely scripture reading and research for my posts twice as easy.
Part of me wonders if my new Side-by-Side Bible might have some kind of magical abilities to be present verbally when it is needed. When I mentioned my Father’s Day gift to Jaisa (a college age co-worker friend of mine), she mentioned that she was in the market for a new Bible, and would love to see mine at work the next day.
What is the chance that this conversation would end as it did? When my co-worker viewed the Bible on Monday afternoon, she was so sold on it that she wanted one for her and her mother.
When was the last time someone did something kind for you? Was it a surprise or did you know about it? When was the last time you did a good deed for someone? What kind of feeling does that type of service leave you with?

Suggestions may include complimenting someone on their clothing, saying a positive word to cheer someone up, or doing a chore for someone who can’t do it themselves. The possibilities are endless. You can make a big impression with little or no cash. Give this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...