Monday, May 25, 2015

My Alternative

“Leslie” walked in the store with her family in shorts and a sky blue shirt that had white and yellow lettering. The inscription on her top was funny at first, but quickly became serious when I realized it was yelling one of my worst flaws.
“Pick a fight” reminded me of the many times when my emotional defenses had been up and on full alert. Any innocent comment my family would make sent me into an angry tail spin on incorrect interpretation of whatever came out of the mouth of my wife or daughter. The end result was I could be a bit difficult to live with. Instead of offering grace, and allowing the minor irritation to float on by, I became a raging bull with Bobbi and Allena as my red target.
So I would ask you is their enough maturity in your life to “avoid a fight.” All anger eventually leads to is hurtful words (you shouldn’t mean or physical violence (that makes those around you frightened of who you’ve become).
Allow God’s advice for you from The Message translation of Psalm 37:8-9 to speak to your heart. “Bridle your anger, trash your wrath, cool your pipes-it only makes things worse.” As I see it, your options involve continuing with the wrong choice, and making life miserable for those around you. Your other option is to ask God for the help you need to become a person that avoids picking a fight. Which alternative will you select?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...