Tuesday, May 26, 2015

It’s B.E.D. Time

As an adult, my relationship with food has been a challenge to say the least. Regularly, I tend to eat fast, and beyond full when I’m not really hungry. (My diabetic sugar readings keep rising along with my waist line.) Until recently, I thought I had big issues with my own self control and portion sizes. But did I really?
I found out the above example from my life has a name. It’s called Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.). People with the above issue are not lacking in self control. Individuals like this tend to eat in private to hide the amount of food they are consuming. It’s more common in women than men.
Afterwards they feel regretful about the binge eating they continue to do on a regular basis (no matter the self guilt that’s inflicted). It’s important to know B.E.D. adults do not try to undo binge eating with throwing up or over exercising.
Be assured if you have B.E.D. that it was not your choice. This has nothing to do with your will power. You are not a failure. This is not the same as overeating at a holiday (or special occasion) meal. Some of the risks of this illness include type 2, diabetes, sleep apnea, joint pain, anxiety, and high blood pressure, and some types of cancer.

It is important to know that psychotherapy (which may include counseling), medication (Vyvance), and nutrition can all work together in conquering B.E.D.  If you believe you may have this, the first step is to have a discussion with your health care provider. For further information, please refer to the website www. bedaonline.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...