Monday, April 20, 2015

Sound It Out

If you’ve read my previous posts, you’ve learned that I have a unique (somewhat strained) relationship with church. Worship music puts my nerves on edge (see Misunderstood, but Hopeful). The inactivity of preaching puts me to sleep (see Night, Night). As a grown man, I could skip church entirely, but I knew that wasn’t the right thing for me.
If wasn’t for the creative solution of, “Trevor,” leader of my Thursday Morning Men’s Group (see Masculinity at Its Best); I probably would have ceased going to church all together (much to the dismay of God and Bobbi).
Trevor runs half of the media ministry at my church on Sunday morning. He is in charge of the sound for those speaking and singing. I am in training for the other half of the media ministry. This is done by several different men. It involves a laptop which controls what is shown on the screens.
I’m primarily focusing on making the correct information visible for the congregation to view. When the pastor sticks to the highlighted sermon outline, everything is organized, and a simple click away. Often the pastor will go “freestyle” as she’s lead by the Holy Spirit, which I believe is important.
As a newbie, I don’t quite have the gift of anticipating where the pastor will go with her message. When these times occur, I ask for back-up as I do the best I can. My decisions must be made within seconds.
This ministry definitely keeps me alert. From this vantage point the music isn’t quite as abrasive, and the sermon definitely catches my attention if there is an opportunity to concentrate on it for a few seconds.

Is there a challenge in your life that need’s a creative solution? Why not ask a trusted friend for advice? Together maybe the two of you can come up with something you would have never thought up on your own.  Ask God for an answer; look on the Internet; or in the environment around. The same old thing will not work this time. Come out with your resolve firmly in place, and don’t give in until the needed response is present.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...