Sunday, April 26, 2015

So Random

At work, I wonder how I get into some of the casual conversations I arrive at with customers. When entering the store, I find the people that enter (or reply back to my salutation) are generally in a cheerful mood. My wife also works part-time at the same store as cashier in addition to her full-time job. Bobbi says she would be thrilled with the happiness of my greeter job because many times as patrons enter check-out some of the happiness I received has worn off.
As “Bruce” was on his way to produce, he stopped by my door to see scratch off his lottery ticket. I asked him what he’d won, and how he cashed in the ticket. I was told $5, and that he could redeem his ticket at the customer service desk. I said my obsessive personality prohibited me from gambling and drinking. I patted my belly, and said the only obsession I indulged in was eating.
In fact I described my weight issues and my diabetes not being controlled. I told him my wife had great control with bariatric surgery. (I refrained from showing Bobbi’s before and after pictures.) Instead Bruce was a great proponent of exercise and food portioning. Maybe his good friend “Carla” had shaped his views on food
Carla was a 680 pound active lawyer. In the midst of rush hour traffic, a box of donuts calmed her down. When Bruce was invited over for dinner one time, Carla’s pre-dinner snack was a whole chicken. Food-wise, Bruce (of normal size) couldn’t keep up with her.
Carla had a past life regression done. It came out that she was regularly starved as a concentration camp victim. She felt this best explained why she currently overate. Bruce believed while he was online with Carla that she passed away. Her brother later confirmed her death.  
Our conversation concluded with Bruce thinking about paying for an online ministerial certificate. I felt that was a demanding job that one needed to be called to. Bruce then proceeded to make one of the most profound statements I’ve ever heard. It went something like this: “I’ve heard that many people who believe they are being called to be a pastor is actually an invitation from God to increased holiness.”
Instead of running with that in a positive light, my short response went something like this: “I’m not sure I could ever live up to God’s standard of holiness because I have so much junk in my life.

Be open to the variety of people the Almighty may bring into your life. There’s no telling what you might be able to learn from each other. A short visit may only occur, or a lifetime friendship could blossom. You have no way of knowing unless you open your heart to some variety (and spice) of the human kind.  Be willing to step outside your comfort zone when God lays that directive on your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...