Sunday, April 26, 2015

Rejuvenation

On a Saturday evening Bobbi and I were out running our many errands. One of mine was a haircut. I found Great Clips was closed. So I joined my wife for one of her chores at Sally Beauty Supply (across the parking lot) where she went to pick up hair coloring, a mood pick-me-up for her. (Read below. Maybe I should have waited in the car, and listened to the audiobook I was currently enjoying, Best Kept Secret by Jeffrey Archer.)
For some time, I’d thought it might be nice to appear some where in my forties rather than my fifties. (A look that screamed either “fully alive” or “half asleep.”) I picked up a box of ion Color Brilliance Pro-Age Gray Blending 5 Minute Permanent Liquid Hair Color for Men Only. If don’t like it eventually it will come out through repeated washings or haircuts.
My wife totally disagreed with this waste of $5 in her eyes. Simply for the main reason being that I kept my hair so short. she feels it looks vain (and foolish) on her husband. Did you know our society often views women with gray hair as haggard while men are considered debonair? What’s with that double standard?
When I came out of the shower, I looked like a new man. I was uncertain as to how I felt about it. As the box said, “I was taking gray hair undercover.” This coloring promised to add “the pepper in salt and pepper hair.”
My “darkest brown-gray” looked much browner than on the box. Though I looked younger, my bum left knee was telling me it wasn’t true. Come to think of it; I believe a several men I know have this same shade of hair dye on their head.
Every time I look in the mirror now, I wonder who that old man with the dark hair is looking back at me. The next morning (in our car), I discovered there was some brown dye around my hairline. 
Inside the church gymnasium after the service, my pastor said that she had to do a double take when she saw me at the sound system. She liked the new look, and thought it might take to fully grow on me. With my new hair color and cut (before and after my locks getting shorn), I looked a great deal like a fuzzy black chick. See what you think with the attached pictures.
Another man asked who that young man was walking up to him as I approached. He also jokingly asked my daughter if I was her brother. Others thought the look was a good take on me. Are you willing to take a ride on the wild side to rejuvenate the way you feel about yourself?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...