Monday, April 13, 2015

A Teachable Moment

One of the positives of my job as a Greeter is that I never know who is going to walk through the glass doors I am patrolling. It may be family, friend, or a stranger that needs my assistance. Whoever it is I want to give them to feel they are of the utmost most importance to me. I will use every skill I have to get a resolution to their challenge.
Sometimes someone walks into the store that you have a commonality with. The discussions that ensue are the best part of your day. The estimated forty-five minute discussion with the retired teacher, “Lizette,” went all over the spectrum. Our talk went on in the midst of me interrupting it every couple minutes to welcome other customers streaming into the grocery side of the store.
Lizette and I had both been a Substitute Teachers (see Substitutions Allowed and Forgetful Moments). Her specialties included high school English, Journalism, and Special Education.
She now worked in the grading area of the state’s standardized testing. We both agreed many times that a teacher is required to instruct students towards taking the state’s standardized testing, Many times creative learning is forgotten.
On November 4, 1970, Lizette attended Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia. She was at the school when the after effect of the plane crashed; killing the entire football team. This was depicted in the 2006 movie, We Are Marshall.
Near the end of my shift a union representative, “Jake,” happen to come through the general merchandise door I was guarding (opposite of where Lizette was). I discussed some of the challenges I faced as a Greeter such as the long hours of standing.
It seemed like everyone was doing a dress code infraction that I’d be unable to get away with. It wasn’t fair. Jake stopping by my door to get a store advertisement could be looked as an act of divine providence. Somehow, I hoped what I said would make some kind of difference for somebody other than me.
Life is full of surprises, joys, and times of complete honesty. It’s important to be completely in the moment so you don’t miss a thing. Being honest is an act of freedom, but being truthful can have negative results. You alone must discover what is acceptable to you.  Most the time, your existence in the world is exactly what you make it. Choose to make it bright by turning the negative into spectacular.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...