Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Dad on the Edge







My adult daughter was in an intersection getting ready to turn to the road to wherever she was going. The female in back of her was impatient. Possibly she was running late for an important appointment. She decided my daughter needed a reminder so she yelled an expletive about the size of her backend loud enough so Allena could hear it from her automobile.

How can one determine the size of one’s butt from car to car when both of you are seated? The answer is you can’t. It’s smart not to make a turn until you can make it safely. If you turn and crash, that can’t be taken back. You can believe that honking driver in back of you will not be paying for your automobile repairs. Why can’t people be patient, and civil with their words (or mind their own business)?

Once Allena became a teenager a variety of people (friends and strangers) have felt the need to say mean things to my daughter for no real reason. It’s almost like my daughter has a sign on her forehead that says, “Say or do anything you want to me because I can take it.”

As Allena’s father, I know how sensitive she is to these comments. She gets hurt easily, then angry, then depressed. I don’t like this vicious cycle.  If I knew I could beat all those people that hurt her at times, I would. (I guess her mother and I are sometimes guilty of not always being as supportive as we could be.)

Part of parenthood is standing back and allowing your children to fight their own battles no matter how painful that may be for you as their parent (and friend). Welcome to the adult life of your children. It’s not for wimps, but for enthusiastic cheerleaders instead. Your offspring will always need you no matter how old they get. You are important to their development and support unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...