Friday, February 20, 2015

Bird Food

One of the more pleasant aspects of my job as a Utility Worker is the break I often get from pushing carts to loading a customer’s store purchases into their vehicle. The one-on-one interaction with a store customer suits my personality well.
I just love the chatting between the two of us, the physical exercise of putting their items in their car, and sending them off with a blessing, command, or both. (Have a great day. Try to stay warm.) I feel great after these breaks. I must be doing something right because several customers have tried to give me monetary tips, which I can’t take according to store policy.
I was called to assist a heavyset woman (in her mid forties) on a motorized cart in the pet department. (One place I rarely go in aiding a customer.) Since, I don’t know her name; let’s call her, “Rayne.” After loading three very large bags of bird food onto her cart, I helped her pick out the right toys (to be filled with catnip).
By now, it has been at least twenty minutes since I’ve been outside pushing carts. Hopefully, someone is outside helping me. Of course as I’m smiling and being friendly, the heavy winter clothing in this warm building is causing a lot of sweat anxiety.
Rayne is here from Canton, OH, to visit her sister. Supposedly, our store chain does not exist in Canton. At the self-check out, I scan her purchases, and slide cash into the machine, and give her the receipts and change. Shortly after that, the car is loaded and the two sisters are headed to wherever central Ohio sister lives so they can both enjoy all the birds. To make matters even more interesting, this was the same day, the hot chocolate debacle happened (see the post All the Way).
By the way, someone was working on my carts for me. I think this customer definitely puts me in the realm of going “above and beyond.” How often are you willing to go the “extra mile” even if their might not be any recognition for it? It really takes very little (unlike the above) to make someone’s day brighter. If you look for an opportunity, you will find it.

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...