Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Letter from Mom: A Story

Dear Robert,
I just had to slip this small letter into your cap and gown; I knew you would find this before graduation tonight. Son, I won’t make this letter long. I’ll just tell you what is on my heart. It almost saddens me to realize that my little boy has finally grown up. As I write this letter, I can hardly hold back the tears. I know I will soon lose you to college.
Your father would be tonight if he could only see you walk down the aisle, and receive your diploma. Son, Think of me as a loving mother that did the best I knew for you. As a young boy, you’ve handled well your problem of hyperactivity. No one would guess you’ve had this problem.
The death of your of your father and grandparents could have shattered you to pieces, but you’ve withstood it all well. You’ve also brought much happiness into my life. I will never forget all the good times you and I have shared together.
Son, don’t you worry about how you will make it through college. Jesus has helped you through thirteen years of school. He can surely give you the strength for four more years. I can’t be anymore proud of you than I am now. Remember to write or call me when you’re at Bob Jones.
Love and Prayers,
XXXXOOOOXXXXXOOOO
Mom
P.S. Remember Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.”


Note:  I was eighteen at the time I wrote this for a contest at Northside Christian School (5/82). This piece received a “special honor” ribbon. This piece has been edited for readability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...