Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The World’s Most Unusual University


Due to the generosity of my late paternal grandparents, inheritance money was provided for me to attend college. I chose an out-of-state Christian liberal arts university with the above slogan from 1982-1986. Bob Jones University taught me so many important life lessons that I wish to thank them for right now.
Nothing teaches a person how to deal with the variety of life better than spending a university career with three different males (with their own unique habits) each year in a small room (with four bunk beds, a sink, a study area, and limited closet space). You have no option, but to learn how to get along. Over those years, I had some great guys that were patient with the unique I tend to be to this day. (I do remember a lot of home sickness throughout my four years at BJU.)
BJU also opened my eyes to the cultural side of life, which to this point I had no idea about what that even was. I was exposed to operas (both in English and foreign languages), Shakespeare plays, and recitals (instrumental, vocal, and drama).
My largest experience with this was my acting in two minor roles in Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing during my sophomore year of college (during Thanksgiving 1984)  as both a soldier and a wedding party member. I remember the long rehearsals, thick stage make-up, and the heavy, elaborate costumes. It was wonderful immersing myself so completely in another time period.
As an Elementary Education major (Bachelor of Science degree), my senior year (1986) was partially dedicated to student teaching at Summit Drive Elementary in Greenville, SC. Before I left Summit for graduation, I was given a booklet with photos and letters from my students (which I still treasure today) The poem on the inside cover beautifully summarizes my time in this place of learning.
This is a poem about Mr. Kinker.
He wasn’t mean & he wasn’t a stinker.
He came to us from Bob Jones School
And made us remember the Golden Rule.
When kids were naughty, he’d say “Run laps!”
After four times around we wanted to take naps.
In all our classes he’d get us thinkin’
-He even came one day as Abraham Lincoln!
Sometimes we were so rowdy he’d start to scream;
Luckily he got help from Miss Beam.
He liked everyone and didn’t have a pet,
And we liked it when Miss Beam said, “We’ll make a southerner of you yet!”
So here’s to Mr. Kinker of Ohio
-All of us say “We hate to see you go!”
Other memories I have from BJU are the Dating Parlor in the Student Center (I seldom used my idea of a couch emporium), having to wear a tie for a casual jaunt off campus, daily chapel in the Founder’s Memorial Amphitorium, ladies having to wear hats to Sunday morning chapel, and meeting a companion Elementary Education major that I still keep in contact with today.
In the back of my senior year book my involvement at BJU is written. Here it is: Sigma Alpha Chi (society involvement required; no fraternities), choir (Church, Vesper, Oratorio), and Classic Players (Much Ado About Nothing). I can’t speak for everyone, but if you’ve never had a familiarity with college (whether in-state or out-of-state), it’s not something to be missed because learning has no age limits.
Note the collage of college pictures below. The 1986 graduation pictures are taken with me and my mother and sister Kim. The yearbook photo is from my sophomore year. My student teaching class is below. (I am to the left.)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...