Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Family Repetition

Do you ever find yourself repeating a gesture you remember some relative (alive or deceased) doing? It can be alarming at times to realize just how much our family has an influence on us. For me, I have a whole plethora (surplus) of kin that come to mind with similarities that are evident today.
Janice Zarbaugh – Over the years I’ve watched my mother seamlessly connect to strangers in conversation; effortlessly speak of spiritual matters, teach a Sunday School class, or pray daily with my wife. I owe my mother a debt of gratitude for passing down what others wish came naturally. (Of course, I believe she is also the one that passed her undiagnosed Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD down to her eldest child.)
Stella Kinker – When my paternal grandmother was frustrated over something, (this happened frequently when I viewed her) the hands went on the hips. Guess who does that also?
Robert Eagle – My maternal grandfather was a loveable character that I very rarely remember him getting angry around me. When Grandpa Eagle wished to make a point to me, he’d smile, and point his index finger at me to give his directive. I find myself doing the same thing with our three Chihuahuas when I wish them to do something.
Think about how much you are like those that came before you. Rejoice in the unique person that has made you today. Without them there would be no you. Say, “thank you.”  


In the attached pictures, Robert and Erma Eagle (maternal) are in the formal picture. Clarence and Stella Kinker (paternal) are next to a plant. Grandma Kinker is in her classic pose next to my father’s tombstone.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...