Sunday, December 28, 2014

Home Alone


In December 2014 during a five day trip my wife and daughter took to Missouri for the wedding of a niece, I realized just how much I despised being home alone. I volunteered to stay home to watch our three Chihuahuas since all the options that were checked into were unaffordable.
Even though my canine companions are lively with their own set of unique barks, two female family members tend to make their own distinctive sounds even when they doing nothing (or are in different parts of the house. My week as a single man was filled such time consuming events as my part-time job of shopping cart retrieval, volunteering at a Breakfast with Santa, and caroling (and praying) with my church in a residential neighborhood. Needless to say, I was glad to see my family return from their trip.
My mother is a two-time widow (lost my brother as well to a seizure). Though she does her best to stay active, she still lives in a house by herself. She has often told me to be good to my wife. Once they are gone, one wonders if the disagreements were really that important in the end. (Regret and guilt make horrible roommates.) Mom has told me she’d love to have any kind of discussion (good or bad) with her second husband. Be good to your family. They add a lot to your daily life. Remember,  they won’t be here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...