Thursday, January 30, 2020

Medicine

“Resting is not laziness. It’s medicine.” (Glenn Sweitzer)

I regularly have migraine attacks. I’m not telling you this, but for understanding. A migraine is not just a bad headache, but a neurological disorder that can affect every system of the body. The unbearable head pain that migraines are known for is only one symptom of the illness. When I say “I have a migraine,” I mean that I am horribly nauseated, dizzy, weak, have flu-like lethargy, and fatigue.

My legs tremble, and my knees buckle. I can’t think clearly enough to write a coherent sentence, common words escape me, and decision-making is nearly impossible. I am overwhelmed by mood swings, which includes suicidal depression. Light, sounds, smells, and touch are magnified beyond annoyance.

The head pain is so severe that even moving my legs while laying in bed causes me to moan in agony. These aren’t all my symptoms just the most notable ones. I am fortunate in that I don’t have endless vomiting, diarrhea, numbness, tingling in my limbs, temporary paralysis, or loss of vision.

 The misunderstanding that a migraine can be treated with over-the-counter painkillers and a nap or avoided entirely by not eating chocolate or not getting stressed is not only wrong. This disregards the enormous suffering of the more than 37 million migraineurs in the U.S. Some people could have a radical reduction in the frequency and severity of their migraine attacks with awareness, preventive medication, and lifestyle and behavioral changes.

Many others strive tirelessly to improve their health with no luck. Chronic migraines, defined as 15 or more headache days a month with at least eight of which are migraine, affects 2 percent of the world’s population. Some migraineurs have an attack every single day. In addition to the excruciatingly painful migraine days, every migraine also has a recovery day (or three) that can put alcohol hangovers to shame.

Understand that your sibling isn’t just trying to get out of your weekly Sunday dinner with the family. Your coworker isn’t taking the day off to something fun. Your spouse isn’t a whiner who doesn’t want to help with housework. A migraine cannot be eliminated with any amount of positive thinking though I wish it could). There is no cure at all for migraines because modern medicine doesn’t even know the full extent of what causes them. Do your best to be patient with us as we figure out what works for us.

Kerrie

 “If migraine patients have a common and legitimate second complaint besides their migraines, it is that they have not been listened to by physicians. Looked at, investigated, drugged, charged, but not listened to.” (Oliver Sacks) [i]



[i] Adapted from: -“An Open Letter to People without Migraine” By Kerrie Smyres
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...