Sunday, July 28, 2019

Change

“Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.” (Jim Rohn)

Paul was the author of this biblical book to Philemon about his runaway slave, Onesimus.[i]

Paul, a prisoner of Jesus the Anointed One, with our brother Timothy, to you, beloved Philemon, our fellow worker; and to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church that gathers in your house. May grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus the Anointed surround you.

I am constantly thanking God for you in my prayers because I keep hearing about your love and faith toward our Lord Jesus and all those set apart for His purposes. Here’s what I’ve been praying on your behalf:

Thank You, Father, for Philemon. I pray that as he goes and tells his story of faith, he would tell everyone so that they will know for certain all the good that comes to those who put their trust in the Anointed One.

My brother, because you are out there encouraging and reviving the hearts of fellow saints with such love, this brings great joy and comfort to me.

Although I am bold enough in the Anointed, our Liberating King, to insist you do the right thing, instead I choose to appeal to you on account of love. I do this for my own sake since I, Paul, am an old man and am held prisoner because of my service to Jesus the Anointed. 10 I make this request on behalf of my child, Onesimus,[a] whom I brought to faith during my time in prison. 11 Before, he was useless to you; but now he is useful to both you and me. 12 Listen, I am sending my heart back to you as I send him to stand before you, although truly 13 I wished to keep him at my side to take your place as my helper while I am bound for the good news. 14 But I didn’t want to make this decision without asking for your permission. This way, any goodwill on your part wouldn’t be seen as forced, but as your true and free desire.

15 Maybe this is the reason why he was supposed to be away from you for this time: so that now you will have him back forever— 16 no longer as a slave, but as more than a slave—as a dear brother. Yes, he is dear to me, but I suspect he will come to mean even more to you, both in the flesh as a servant and in the Lord as a brother.

17 So if you look upon me as your partner in this mission, then I ask you to open your heart to him as you would welcome me. 18 And if he has wronged you or owes you anything, charge it to me. 19 Look, I’ll put it here in my own handwriting: I, Paul, promise to repay you everything. (Should I remind you that you owe me your life?) 20 Indeed, brother, I want you to do me this favor out of obedience to our Lord. It will refresh my heart in Him. 21 This letter comes, written with the confidence that you will not only do what I ask, but will also go beyond all I have asked.

22 One more thing: you should get a room ready for me as I hope to be released to you soon in answer to your prayers. 23 Epaphras (my fellow prisoner in Jesus, the Anointed One) greets you, 24 as well as my fellow workers Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, and Luke.

25 May the grace of the Lord Jesus the Anointed be with your spirit. (Philemon, VOICE)[ii]

How does long-lasting, radical life change happen in your life?

Face your sin.

See Philemon 1:12 above

 Doesn’t it make sense that if you sign yourself over as a slave, you will have to obey your master? The question before you is, What will be your master? Will it be sin—which will lead to certain death—or obedience—which will lead to a right and reconciled life? (Romans 6:16, VOICE)


Put your faith in Jesus.


See Philemon 1:10 above

When do these two things happen?

You have a new identity.
 See Philemon 1:16 above

It is like that with us; there was a time when we were like children held under the elemental powers of this world. When the right time arrived, God sent His Son into this world (born of a woman, subject to the law) to free those who, just like Him, were subject to the law. Ultimately He wanted us all to be adopted as sons and daughters. Because you are now part of God’s family, He sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts; and the Spirit calls out, “Abba, Father.” You no longer have to live as a slave because you are a child of God. And since you are His child, God guarantees an inheritance is waiting for you. (Galatians 4:3-7, VOICE)


You have a new purpose.


See Philemon 1:11, 13 above

 Therefore, if anyone is united with the Anointed One, that person is a new creation. The old life is gone and see a new life has begun.  (2 Corinthians 5:17, VOICE)


Most people are so busy trying to get somewhere else they never stop and appreciate the MIRACLES all around them. Don't let that be you.”Most people are so busy trying to get somewhere el”Life is about change. “Life is about change. Sometimes it’s painful. Sometimes it’s beautiful. But most the time it’s both.”(Lana Lang)[iii]



[i] During Roman times, the runaway Onesimus was considered stolen property from his owner, Philemon. Punishment included immediate death upon returning (via crucifixion) or scourging (beyond recognition) and branding of the letter “f” on the forehead of the runaway, which meant “fugitive.”
 
[ii] According to ancient traditions, Onesimus went from being a slave to Bishop of Ephesus having been ordained by the apostles. Because of his newfound Christian faith, he was arrested in Rome and sentenced to death after preaching about celibacy. He was cruelly tortured and then beaten to death.
Onesimus (whose name means “useful” or “profitable”) is also mentioned in Colossians 4:9, which may be proof that he did what was asked of him by Paul. As to whether a repentant Onesimus ever went back to Philemon (knowing what could happen to him), consider this:  If Philemon rejected Paul’s request to accept Onesimus back as a brother (even if he didn’t grant him full emancipation), would this scripture still exist? 
 
[iii] Inspired by the sermon “Now a New Person: Runaway Grace, “(installment one) Sunday July 21, 2019, Pastor Dave Jansen, CenterPoint Gahanna Church Gahanna, OH.
 
Sources used:
·        “Slavery in the Roman Empire” by Spartacus Educational
 
  ·        “Whatever happened to Onesimus, the slave mentioned by St. Paul?” By Philip Kosloski

·        “What Happened to Onesimus?” by Danny
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...