Monday, June 24, 2019

Movement

“Your faith can move mountains and your doubt can create them” (Anonymous)

Every time that I find myself falling away from what I know is right. I remind myself that I need to get back to my roots, which I define as the values, principles, and core spirituality that make me who I am. The more you understand our spiritual side (the inner-working of what makes us who we are) the greater chance you have at finding our stabilizing inner peace. God made us for relationship with Him and each other. From birth you cannot survive without human relationship.

Sometimes when you are faced with difficult situations, you can lose your faith. (Faith is a firm belief in something for which there is no proof.)  It can feel like God is not listening or He simply doesn’t care. It’s important to realize there’s a power working on your behalf even when you can’t see it. When you learn to trust, despite your circumstances, you will see that your faith is still intact. You just have to hold on and choose to believe even when you find yourself low on faith. 

There are people all over the world that at one time had a strong belief system, but currently can’t believe that  God  can make the impossible possible in their lives. What beliefs support you in living a happy life and which support you in staying stuck where you are? Cochren & Co.’s song, “Church (Take Me Back)” reminds me to get back to the strong faith I had as a child. How do these lyrics minister to your heart?
There was a time that I swore I would never go back
I was blind to the truth, didn't know what I had
I was running, I was searching
But every place I turned for healing
Left me more broken than the last


Take me back
To the place that feels like home
To the people I can depend on
To the faith that's in my bones
Take me back
To a preacher and a verse
Where they've seen me at my worst
To the love I had at first
Oh, I want to go to church

Tried to walk on my own but I wound up lost
Now I'm making my way to the foot of the cross
It's not a trophy for the winners
It's a shelter for the sinners
And it's right where I belong

Take me back
To the place that feels like home
To the people I can depend on
To the faith that's in my bones
Take me back
To a preacher and a verse
Where they've seen me at my worst
To the love I had at first
Oh, I want to go to church
I want to go to church

Oh, more than an obligation
It's our foundation
The family of God
I know it's hard
But we need each other
We're sisters and brothers

Oh, take me back
To the place that feels like home
To the people I can depend on
To the faith that's in my bones
Take me back
To a preacher and a verse
Where they've seen me at my worst
To the love I had at first
Oh, I want to go to church

Yeah, I want to go to church
Oh, I want to go, want to go, I want to go
Oh, I want to go to church
Oh, I want to go to church

Here are five ways you can regain your faith in life:

1.   Count your Blessings-You take so much for granted in our lives. It is not because you are bad, but because you are often concerned more with your safety so much so that you forget about the most important things that you do have now. The support systems you have now are priceless.


2.   Evidence Journal-Look back on your life so far and note any experiences where things worked out for the good even though at the time you had no idea how they would come together. 


3.   Meditate- It is important to take quiet time for yourself to relax and connect with your soul. There are a million different ways of meditating. If you look you will find the perfect one for you. Choose something that sounds interesting, and give it a try. Sit for 5 minutes and breathe deeply or listen to a guided meditation.


4.   Pray-Feeling that you are not alone makes a big difference. You don’t need to belong to or believe in a religious group to pray. Simply have a conversation with God. Begin to look deeper and you will find that you are surrounded by a lot of support.


5.   Presence-When you can sincerely be present in your surroundings, you return to a place of love and safety. It is from this place you can witness how miraculous the world truly is.


 “The situations that will stretch your faith most will be those times when life falls apart and God is nowhere to be found.” (Rick Warren)[i]



[i] Sources used:

·        “5 Ways to Regain Faith in Life” by Orly Levy

·        “Get Back to Your Roots” by Christopher D.

·        “How to Restore Your Faith” by Beliefnet
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...