Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Too Big

"My ears are too big for my head. My head is too big for my body. I am not a Siamese cat.  I am a Chihuahua." (Skippyjon Jones)

Gizmo was one of my greatest friends. She was originally from Mexico, had short blonde hair, and loved to lick my face. Gizmo was a sausage link-shaped Chihuahua. She would roll onto her white fur-covered side whenever she got affection (from anyone).

Gizmo loved and (lived) to take care of the sick. She was partially responsible for my unexpected meeting to the woman that would eventually become my wife. Gizmo was also a full-time doggy caretaker of me when I was surviving cancer. She was later companions to my parents with their battles against Lyme and Alzheimer’s Diseases.

Gizmo was totally unique, forgiving, and full of love (like our other fur kids). In remembrance of Gizmo, it is time I share with you the handful of life lessons my canine buddy taught me.

“Until one has loved a Chihuahua a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” (Anatole France)[i]

 
1.  Every New Person You Meet is a Potential New Friend - All it took for Gizmo to like you was to meet you. She was sure to greet you with a smile, a bark, and a barrel roll onto her plump treat filled belly. I am suggesting that every person we meet is worth something, and deserves a smile.

 
If you have ever had a dog you know that wonderful feeling you get when you walk into the house to a wagging tail, a moist tongue, and happy barks. You also know that terribly lonely feeling when that celebration no longer happens.

 
Are there times in our lives when we forget to greet others with excitement and respect? It is amazing what a little positive energy can do for our relationships.

 
2.  Don’t Wait Until Tomorrow to Show Love - Call me cheesy but after the various life events, I have experienced I am beginning to understand that waiting until the time is right to show love and appreciation for people in our lives may be too long of a wait.

 
One of my favorite things Gizmo would do for me (when I was waking up from a chemotherapy nap) was to beg for me to pick her up. As soon as I did, the kisses came and soon I was more focused on Gizmo the Chihuahua than I was on my nausea.

“Long-haired Chihuahuas have no notion they are bite-sized.” (Rosemary Clement-Moore)

3.  Be a Loyal Companion - Often times the best we can offer someone is just a set of ears. Gizmo offered ears to listen (no voice to respond from), and often times that was exactly what was needed as she set loyally by my side. Are there times in life we need to offer only loyalty and a good set of ears?

 
4.  Create New Memories Now - Gizmo taught me to go ahead and create great memories today. Every day is a new adventure when you’re a ten pound Chihuahua. Maintain that adventurous spirit; be excited about life’s detours, and every once in a while treat yourself.[ii]

 "Chihuahuas are like potato chips. You can’t have just one.” (@chihuahuaquotes)[iii]

Gizmo
 




[i] I totally agree with this quote.
 
[ii] Adapted from “Life Lessons from a Chihuahua” by David A. Pride
 
[iii] This post is dedicated to my three Chihuahuas, Chico, Rosco, and Lola. Chico and Rosco were with me during my cancer (and chemo) in 2009-2010. (Their presence when the family was gone during the day was a blessing.) I relate so much of David’s article. I smile at the big ears with the even larger attitudes that go with this small breed I so love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...