Thursday, February 23, 2017

Gone to Voicemail

“When the past calls, let it go to voicemail. Believe me; it has nothing new to say.” (Author Unknown)

Musical evangelist, Andy Avery’s unique past made him someone the Almighty wanted to use in the future (despite his own shortcomings). Andy tells us his story:

My musical background starts at a very early age via talent shows and local venues. I played and sang in choir in school, and paid my own way by singing in restaurants at night. Then I joined some local bands and played clubs regionally. I then met some famous people, and got signed to a contract and went on tour opening for Kiss, Bon Jovi, and many other national acts.

I then had the opportunity to sing for the rock group “Journey,” but messed it up with drug abuse. After years of struggling with drugs and alcohol, I gave my life to Jesus. I have been singing for Him ever since.

My turning point of confession (and repentance) was losing everything, and ending up in a bad place alone. I hurt bad enough to cry out, and beg for Jesus (just like the blind men in Matthew).[i]

I do high school assemblies and tour the world proclaiming His name.[ii] I would tell them not to make the mistakes I made. Their lives could be blessed at a much earlier age then mine and be bold in sharing their witness.

Jesus came to make disciples, and I want to do the same. I spend eighty percent of my time on the road witnessing for Christ. I do eight fund raising concerts per year raising money for the Children’s Miracle Network.[iii]

"The people with whom you work reflect your own attitude. If you are suspicious, unfriendly and condescending, you will find these unlovely traits echoed all about you. But if you are on your best behavior, you will bring out the best in the persons with whom you are going to spend most of your working hours. (Beatrice Vincent, 1886-1963)

People pay attention when they see that God actually changes persons and sets them free. When a new Christian stands up and tells how God has revolutionized his or her life, no one dozes off. When someone is healed or released from a life-controlling bondage, everyone takes notice. (Jim Cymbala)

Often our influence in our communities extends to church programs, musicals, or weekly services. While those things can help present the Gospel, God desires for us to personally be influences on the world around us. Spreading the Gospel isn't solely the church's job; it's the job of every Christian. (Paul Chappell)

The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.” (C.S. Lewis)

Andy Avery
 




[i] Matthew 9:27-31 (ERV) - As Jesus was going away from there, two blind men followed him. They said loudly, “Show kindness to us, Son of David.”  Jesus went inside and the blind men went with him. He asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to make you see again?” They answered, “Yes, Lord, we believe.”  Then Jesus touched their eyes and said, “You believe that I can make you see again, so it will happen.” Then the men were able to see. Jesus gave them a strong warning. He said, “Don’t tell anyone about this.” But they left and spread the news about Jesus all around that area.

 
[ii] Andy has a five octave range. He can hit almost any song male or female with his one remaining functioning vocal cord. Andy learned to sing by doing impressions of other singers. Andy recorded the demo for Lee Greenwood’s "God Bless the USA." He is also a performer for Royal Caribbean Cruises.
 
 [iii] Sources used for this post include: “Andy Avery: Still Rocking After All These Years” by Michael F. Shaughnessy and “The Former Lead Singer of Journey, That Never was(www.melodicrock.com). Inspired by the testimony of Andy Avery, Sunday, February 19, 2017, CenterPoint Church Gahanna Gahanna OH
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...