Saturday, January 14, 2017

Snow Blindness

Hi, my name is Darryl Partridge, and I am disabled...My lower left leg from the knee down no longer moves and works the way that it should…While all this certainly makes walking and doing many activities difficult, my real disability is the debilitating pain that walking and standing cause…It is the last thing I am aware of before falling asleep and the first thing that I am aware of when I wake up…The following are the things I did to reclaim my life.[i]

1.  Accept that you are disabled and find a good listener - Facing the reality that you have a lifelong disability is daunting…If you hold on to the past, you will never move forward…The conversations I needed were ones that were not going to be pleasant and would force the listener to accept the harsh reality that I had to face…Accepting you are disabled doesn’t mean you are not capable…

 
2.  Mourn the losses of what you no longer can do - This is a tough, but also a necessary step… Instead of dwelling on what I could no longer do, I had to mourn the losses and focus on what I could do. I also needed to focus on different ways of doing things…Skiing, as I once knew it, was not possible…I ended up skiing with my arms…My arms did all the work, and my legs went for the ride…

3.  Find the proper tools and accept them - Don’t let them define who you are. If your disability requires a device to enable you to live a fuller life, then use it…No matter what anyone says or thinks, being in public and using walking devices carries a stigma…

 
When I finally had the epiphany that I needed to use crutches all the time to live a fuller and more active life, I did my due diligence and found superior forearm crutches…I felt like a normal human…”Leave your ego at the door.”

4.  Look for people who can inspire you - Look for people who inspire you, and let them teach you that anything is possible…These are the people living their lives with disabilities of all kinds. They push forward and accomplish things…with such a positive attitude...These people became the force that kept me moving forward…

 
5.  Allow yourself to be sad - Suppressing you feelings will never allow you to heal emotionally…It is not possible to be happy all the time… The key is to be able to pull yourself out by giving yourself permission to be sad once in awhile…If you suppress your sad feelings, they will be released in the wrong places and at the wrong times…

 
6.  Exercise regularly - Exercise is…beneficial to your physical health [and] your mental health…The hardest part might be finding exercise that you can do. The best way to do this is through your doctor or a physical therapist…It truly helped me to accept my situation…Find a way to exercise that works with your disability and push yourself. It will completely change how you feel about yourself…

 

7.  Find things to do that make you feel good about yourself - …Find ways to volunteer. There are so many needs out there, and many can be done from your home. Volunteering is a fantastic way to make you feel productive and good about [you].

 
8.  Retrain for a new career - If your disability no longer allows you to continue working in your career, you need to retrain for a new career. This was a very difficult thing for me…Honestly; working with the population of students I excelled at would just be too difficult to do on crutches. I would just be putting myself through stress and pain.

 
So, I finally “mourned” teaching and enrolled in a program at a local community college…Suck up your pride and do what you need to retrain. In the end, you will feel good about yourself…

9.  Phrases not to say to the disabled

§  “What’s wrong/what happened?” or “Were you born that way?”
 
§  “Oh, if you just have faith, you can be healed.”


§  [Do not speak] slowly or loudly to someone who is in a wheelchair.


§  “I don’t even think of you as a person with a disability.”
 

§  “How do you go to the bathroom?”

 
§  “But you look so good.”

 
§  “Oh, you’re here, you must feel better.”[ii]


Author of this article





 

 


[i] The term “snow blindness” refers to the inability to remember important things or have the motivation to complete necessary tasks because of the presence or anticipated presence of snow.  Urban Dictionary
 
[ii] Adapted from the articles, “8 Steps to Accepting Your Disability” by Darryl Partridge and “7 Things Never to Say to People with Disabilities” by DiversityInc staff
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...