Friday, April 15, 2016

My Place in This World

I love to do my reading alone in my automobile while I’m driving (at varying speeds) to carry out all the variety of chores that make up the landscape of my life. It sounds like it could be rather dangerous and distracting (like driving and texting), but it’s really not.

Have you been entertained and educated with a good audio book lately (through your car’s compact disc player)? They come in a variety of formats. There’s so much more to it than a way for reading challenged individuals to succeed. (See Read and Listen)

If you’ve ever watched television, chances are you have viewed one of investigative journalist’s Barbara Walter’s insightful interviews with some well-known personality (whether it’s political, inspirational, entertainment, or criminal in nature).

I’ve always wanted to know what made Barbara (the person I view on TV) tick. Audition: A Memoir by Barbara Walter’s (as masterfully vocalized by narrator, Bernadette Dunne) is the longest audio venture I’ve ever attempted. I will soon complete this wonderful twenty-one compact disc challenge (with four renewals from my local library).

Barbara’s family life was molded by a risk taking, creative father that ran night clubs, an older mentally-disabled sister, and an assertive mother that tried desperately to keep the whole thing together.

Throughout Barbara’s adult life her desire to financially help the family (that gave her roots), affected her friendships, the marriages (that failed), and the daughter she adopted (named “Jackie” after her sister).Thanks to her drive, lots of hard work (and some luck) she has become a superstar in the television industry, which has often been dominated by men.

The title of this audio book is applicable for both Barbara Walters and me. As a pioneer in the area of women in television, Barbara has often felt that she’s needed to “audition” to prove her competency in the area of interviewing others (or reporting the news).

Let me count the times that I have felt a need to impress others (with all that I am capable of in all areas of my life). My hope is that people will love me as I am, and appreciate my unique spin on life.

How do you feel about how God has made you? Psalms 139:14 (NLT) provides us with the correct godly viewpoint. “Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous-how well I know it.”

There is no need to work (or audition) for the love of your Heavenly Father. He wishes only wants you to appreciate all the goodness He has done for you as your thankfulness to the Almighty (Romans 12:1-2).

Barbara Walters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...