Thursday, April 14, 2016

Five Reminders

It was 8:13pm on a Thursday night; I’d made a phone appointment (via text) with my close friend, Brother Roger (see Texting Goodness), to get a loving, honest perspective on some challenges I am currently facing at work.

As expected, my hour and a half long conversation (wife’s estimation) with Brother Roger (alone in my bedroom) left me with much more to think about than I had originally anticipated.

Though much of our discussion was private, there were five important points made about me that I’ve summarized. I am sharing the heart of what was discussed between two good male friends, who want the best in life for each other.

I suspect many of you also struggle with the some of the challenges given below. (Scriptures passages provided are taken from The Message.)

1.  “We’ve known each other for a long time. You tend to have an expectation of perfection in yourself (and others) that tends to cause problems in every aspect of your life.”

“Trust God [with all] your heart. Don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the One who will keep you on track.” (Proverbs 3:5, 6)

2.  “Come to terms with who you are to God as His precious child. Positively transform what you can in your life, let go of the painful (and useless) junk, and learn to live with what will always be.”

“I’ll accept you with pleasure, with delight!” Decree of God, the Master. (Ezekiel 43:27)

3.  “There is some lesson God is trying to teach you in your life (inside the box). Unfortunately, until you learn whatever it is that you are supposed to get, you will not get past the issues that seem to keep plaguing you repeatedly (inside the box). Learn it now, and possibly move into peace and freedom.”

“You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.” (James 1:3-4)

4.  “From our conversations over the years, I sense you can be rather guarded at times with what you allow others to see of you. How many people really know the true you-both good and bad? Open yourself up emotionally. “

“Investigate my life, O God. Find out everything about me. Cross-examine and test me. Get a clear picture of what I’m about. See Yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong-then guide me on the road to eternal life.” (Psalms 139:23-24)

5.  “At your current age of 52, God is not done with you yet. The Almighty wants to teach you many more important lessons with the remaining time you have left here on Earth? Will you allow yourself to be a student of the Heavenly Father as you ever evolve into someone who honors and glorifies Him? You have the choice to grow or stagnate.”

“Mark a life of discipline and live wisely; don’t squander your precious life.” (Proverbs 8:33)


I hope I’ve done Brother Roger’s advice justice. (I heard everything you said.) My prayer is that you’ve seen some part of yourself in my struggles. Will you make an emotional (or spiritual) renovation of yourself right now (or wait)? Let me encourage you to make the wise choice. “Do it now.” No matter whether the aid of a relative, close friend, or counselor is needed in this process.

My long-time buddy, Roger Miracle

1 comment:

  1. Robert you got it all correct. I love you and your precious family, though I have never met them. Iron sharpens iron. A lot of people have invested in me through the years, and the best way I can ever repay them is to invest in others. And that is all I can ask of you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...