Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wealthy, Blessed, (or Both)

With three bulbous-eyed, family-friendly, big-eared, yapping, big attitude dogs (Chihuahuas), life is always an adventure. Due to their body size, we have affectionately nicknamed our three canines (Rosco, Chico, and Lola) “small, medium, and large.”

With the variety we own in dog size and personality, I simply love anything Chihuahua. As a family, we own two Chihuahua figurines, a Chihuahua Christmas ornament, and a very unique Chihuahua magnetic decal that used to be affixed to our silver Outlander before it finally came to rest on the front our refrigerator.

On the magnetic decal is a white Chihuahua (wearing black-rimmed sun glasses) with a palm tree next to his right ear (as well as being reflected in his eye wear). At the bottom is the phrase, “Livin’ the good life.”

My existence thus far has always been established firmly in the struggling middle class. Though I’ve never experienced a privileged, wealthy lifestyle here on Earth, I need to say this right now. “Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me.”

I consider myself “livin’ the good life” for the following reasons:
1.  I have friends and family that cherish me (and my quirks).

2.  I enjoy the company of pets.


3.  God has blessed me with the ability to communicate well verbally, (in writing, and through singing).

4.  I live in a nice home with furniture, food, toilets, and clean running water.


5.  I have good health and a sound mind.

6.  I am employed in a challenging job with co-workers I enjoy being with.


7.  I can worship God freely in the manner that I wish to.

8.  I am able to drive the family car, and have the freedom to get to where I need to go.


9.  I love encouraging others through blogging.

10.     My past (as well as my hobbies) gives me lots of stuff to connect to with other people.



11.     I can afford health care (and medicines) when I am ill.

Psalms 39:6 (NIV) says, “Surely everyone goes around like a mere phantom; in vain they rush about, heaping up wealth without knowing whose it will finally be.”

Chances are you’ve heard the phrase, “You can’t take it with you when you die.” If you have been given the responsibility (and challenge)of wealth, invest it wisely in people (and organizations) that can make a difference in the lives of others.
Don’t overwork yourself to the point of total exhaustion. When you are tired, it’s next to impossible to completely be with those individuals that mean the world to you.

Spread your love to friends (and family members) while they are alive and well. It’s too late to confirm your affection for someone at a funeral (or viewing) with flowers (a cherished object, or a personal note).

This action might soothe your conscience, but that person’s spirit has departed from their body. What is in that casket is the empty shell you knew on earth. (No longer can you both communicate to each other face-to-face.)

Never refrain from being generous to others with your time and resources (whether that’s ever reciprocated or not). It’s the right thing to do. Deep inside you know this, don’t you? Think now about how you are so blessed (beyond what you deserve)?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...