Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Little Is Much

The snow was lightly falling at around 11:00am on Wednesday (January 20, 2016) at the Easton Market Staples where I was employed as a Cashier. “Melissa” (a sixty-something African-American female patron in a bright orange coat and matching hat) was the only person in line for the next few minutes.

As I finished up Melissa’s purchase, (for some reason) I mentioned my wife was having a colonoscopy the next day. This opened up Melissa to mention her hip surgery the following week.

She was a bit apprehensive about the six week recuperation period required as well as the in-home physical therapy, but she needed relief soon from the constant pain she was in constantly.
Her left hip had the required amount of cartilage needed between the bones. The right hip was another story. Bone was rubbing on bone thus causing all the discomfort. Luckily Melissa’s church would provide meals and overnight stays if that is needed.

There was at least once when I worked at Meijer’s (as a Greeter) that I felt the need to do this (see A Pain in the Back).  Old habits die hard. Melissa gave me the okay to pray for her. We quickly closed our eyes as I quietly implored the Heavenly Father to give her a quick and painless recovery (if that was possible) that would bring her back to who she was before her hip started causing problems. Melissa left my counter with a smile on her face and one of my encouragement blog business cards.

James 5:16 (MSG) says, “The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.” Only you know where your relationship with God lies. As for prayer, you may not quite be at the level of boldness I’m at to pray with a complete stranger. What you can do is silently pray in your head for a person once they leave your presence.

God cares more about the true intentions of your heart rather than what the outside shows (I Samuel 16:7). When you come to God in prayer, you’ll never get a busy signal. He is available whenever you need Him (night or day).


As I’ve said many times before (in other posts), He is waiting right now to make an personal connection (or reconnection) with you. Don’t keep Him waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...