Sunday, January 17, 2016

Fearsome

Every Christmas, most Christians read of this angelic message to a group of surprised shepherds in Luke 2:10 (NIV):”Do not be afraid…” Do we take that long ago communication to heart today? I had emotionally prepared (as best I could) for something at church that frightened me (to the point of tears) horribly with feelings of uncertainty.

This was the Preston’s last Sunday with their ECC family. In obedience to God’s will, they will be moving to Utah to work with Teen Challenge for Girls, which works with females ranging in ages thirteen to seventeen that are struggling with things such as drugs, prostitution (human trafficking), depression, and eating disorders.

In my heart, I knew Greg and Kelly will positively change the lives of these girls (for eternity) just as they have the congregation at ECC. Maybe I’m a little fearful of the whole intermittent pastor process because the process is completely out of my hands. I have no control over who will preach to the congregation next Sunday. Whoever it is they have a lot to live up to with Kelly Preston.

What could you use an extra dose of courage for in your life right now? Possibly your health is bad. Your children are rebellious. Your marriage is hanging by a thread. Work doesn’t fulfill you emotionally like it used to.

You’re in excessive debt due to all sorts of unforeseen circumstances. Natural disasters and crime are happening all around you, or you are (in some way) venturing out into the great unknown for the first time. (It’s really scary.) Through all of this, your faith is running on fumes. You’ve began to question if God really cares about what’s going on in your life.

Believe it or not, the Almighty cares about every detail of your ordinary life. God wants you to thrive and not just survive. Are you the one that is swimming boldly (throughout life’s issues) or treading water (barely keeping your head above the waves)?

Whatever your fears are put them on the shoulders of Someone that has the ability to resolve them (Psalms 34:4). Your constant source of Courage is available to you whenever you need Him most (Isaiah 41:10).

The chorus to Amanda Cook’s You Make Me Brave seems to sum up everything I want to leave you with. (Good music always gets to the heart of the matter. Doesn’t it?)

You make me brave
You make me brave
You call me out beyond the shore into the waves
You make me brave
You make me brave
No fear can hinder now the promises you made
You make me brave
You make me brave
No fear can hinder now the love that made a way.

He’s calling you now in the midst of your doubts. Obey His voice by reaching out to Him now. He wants you to trust Him through everything.


*Adapted from the sermon “Prayer & Worship: Take Courage,” by Pastor Kelly Preston, January 17, 2016, Eastside Community Church, Gahanna, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...