Monday, October 26, 2015

Cross Your Heart

Q: “What age is it appropriate to watch [The] Passion of the Christ?”
v Allena K., Akron, OH (Youth with a Mission)
A: My adult daughter, Mel Gibson’s 2004 movie, The Passion of the Christ,  grossed over $83 million it’s opening weekend even though the language was in both the Hebrew dialect and Latin with English subtitles.
The movie deals with the last twelve hours of Jesus’ life (as told in the Gospels). Jesus Christ was brilliantly portrayed by Jim Caviezel (of the TV show, Person of Interest, and the movie, Frequency).
Your mom and I went to a Gahanna theater to see this film soon after it came out around Easter 2004. At that time, I believe you were seven, and in second grade at Royal Manor Elementary.
You had made friends with a girl (named Anna) in your class. Her parents had agreed to have a play date for you with their daughter while we went to see it. I remember it was hot outside even though it was spring. (I think I was in shorts.)
Your mom was 38, and worked in the banking industry while I was employed with the federal government at the age of 40. Once we entered the theater, your mother wondered how many people would be enjoying their refreshments once the movie got to its worst parts. It wasn’t going to be a light, fun plot. (That was guaranteed.)
Among the utter silence in the theater during The Passion of the Christ, the only sounds that one could hear were sniffling or open weeping. The Christian evangelical community had whole heartedly supported this project because of its topic.
Many Jews nationwide didn’t like the way this movie depicted their people as the scape goats for Jesus’ crucifixion. While your mother felt honored for the sacrifice our Savior had made for our salvation, I was freaking out as visually the enormity of what Jesus had done for me cemented its message deep in my heart and mind.
I had to turn my head several times once the scourging began on Jesus. As the violence ramped up to the use of chains with spiked metal balls connected to them (that belonged in a medieval torture chamber) by the happy, blood-thirsty soldiers, I almost left the theater several times.
(I know your mother was wondering why her tall, big, strong husband was acting quite immature.) The crucifixion was not as upsetting as the scourging (in my opinion though neither was extremely pleasant).
I was thankful the camera did not stay on Christ the whole time during whipping (even though I could still hear). It bothered me to see how this was emotionally tearing Jesus mother (Mary) into a million tiny pieces.
A cloaked individual the audience had seen before was also present during this scene. We all knew it was Satan. (I would realize years later the person playing the Devil looked a lot like President Barak Obama. Take that as you wish.)
The victorious conclusion had the audience cheering out loud. The inside of the tomb is lit as Jesus sits up, and looks around (just like your favorite super hero). As to whether you should watch The Passion of the Christ on DVD in a private setting, this would give you the ability to turn it off if it got to be too much (unlike a theater).
Since I’ve known you all your life (and before), the movie could give you a heart full of gratitude for what the Lord has done for you, or you could have endless nightmares (or both). Seeing the movie should be based on someone’s maturity level (and not their age).
Whether you agree with me or not, it would be next to impossible for me to live without the presence of Jesus in my life. As more religious films come out every year, the main message will always be the same.

God can be a positive difference in the lives of those who ask for His assistance. He is waiting right now to hear your prayer. Don’t be afraid to make a connection with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...