Monday, September 14, 2015

The Reason for the Celebration

There is always that one event that is a positive highlight for you every year. The reason for it is unimportant in your way of thinking.  All you know is that it is the one time you can reconnect with friends that have had a profound effect on your existence here in this world.
During the autumn season of every year, the extended Willer clan plans a dessert reception for the anniversary of the patriarch and matriarch (Jack and Betty Willer) of this large family unit at the Der Dutchman Restaurant in Plain City, OH.
The Willers are in their eighties, and are close friends of the Kinker family. This year they are celebrating sixty-five years of marriage together (through all the complexities two unique personalities can experience living together).
This year’s celebration of God’s goodness was on Saturday, September 12th from 7-9pm. In addition to enjoying beverages, old pictures, and much fellowship, are six different types of pie to sample (apple crumb, cherry, coconut, chocolate cream, and banana) Der Dutchman makes the sixth dessert, raisin pie (which is Jack’s favorite) just for this event though it is no longer sold at the restaurant.
Jack Willer first entered my life as my high school principal at Northside Christian School, Westerville, OH, when my mother decided this where (my siblings and me) would get our education after my father passed away (when I was fourteen).
Mr. Willer (and his wife, Betty) re-entered the landscape of my world when I was in my mid-forties, and undergoing all that is involved with being treated for cancer. (Jack and Betty helped out with transportation when I was unable to drive.) The Willers also helped with editing in all of the books I have had published with America Star Books (PublishAmerica).
Though Betty Willer knew of me through her husband, she remained in the background supporting her husband (and her children) during Jack’s time as a principal at NCS. She officially met my bride (Bobbi) and me at a classmate reunion at their home one winter when I was in my thirties.
Though Jack will always be a vital part of my teenage years, the adult “Robert” connects with Betty Willer on a deep level. Our communication is crucial to each other’s well being. We understand each other, and are not offended by the advice both Betty and me freely give each other.
Though the invitation to this event requested no need for presents, I tend to be a rule breaker (with authority issues). Before leaving Meijer for Staples, I found to discounted plaques that so much reminded me of Betty’s humor. I just had to purchase them with my employee discount, which would be gone in the near future
Both plaques were off white in color, and about the size of two drink coasters. Though I can’t remember the exact wording of both of these items, one went like this: “When I need expert advice, who do I go to but of course myself.” The approximate wording on the second gift said, “When I get tired of being normal, I turn back into just me.”
Though there were many people available here to socialize with, I was focused in my devotion to one woman. You may remember Charlotte Massey from the post Our Lonely Daughter.
I became aware of this wonderful lady when I was in kindergarten. Since then, Charlotte has been in the background of my life reacting to my choices at times, loving me unconditionally through it all, and providing honest guidance whether I asked for it or not.
She was there during my NCS years, my marriage day, and adoring my daughter, Allena, because she is so much like me. Though Charlotte has also had her own bout with cancer, her friends, children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren know that her value cannot be measured.
The evening ended with a great selfie of the Kinker family. (The next day Allena would leave for Akron, and we would become empty nesters.) Who was that old thorn between the two lovely roses in this picture? (Surprise, it was me.)
Please treasure all the good moments (and memories) in your life today. It can make a world of difference in how grateful you are to God for them.



Jack and Betty Willer
Kinker Selfie
Charlotte at Kinker Wedding
Robert at 5 or 6

Charlotte and Allena

Charlotte and Robert
Dad and Allena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...