Friday, August 28, 2015

Ring a Ding, Ding

In the mid 1980’s (when I was in my twenties), I worked as a full-time cashier (and stock person) at a local convenience store in the Bexley neighborhood. The only thing I remember from this job is the one time my slowness as a cashier caused me to have angry, grumbling customers lined up almost to the middle of the store.
It is not a fond memory of mine. I still have paranoia about being a cashier today (even in my fifties). I know the United Product Code (UPC) came into wide use for groceries around 1974. In my befuddled mind, I do not recollect scanning items as today, but individually typing prices in manually.
Today’s second day of training (per my boss, Johnson) at Staples was more organized as I learned all the intricacies of using the cash register. Current day user-friendly registers (compared to what I used long ago) are good at letting you know exactly what needs to be done next.
By the middle of my shift I was doing simple transaction without any assistance. (Of course, product and ink cartridge returns, on-line orders, and coupons were another issue I was not yet comfortable with yet.)
Psalms 27:1 (of The Message) says, “Light, space, zest-that’s God! So, with him on my side I’m fearless, afraid of no one and nothing.” I can’t tell you how good it felt today to conquer a long time fear. I can ring people up, and not be frightened by long lines. (I will pleasantly serve them as soon as I can.)

 What apprehension has you paralyzed with uncertainty. Chances are the monster in your head is not as horrible as the situation it represents. Why be stuck in the past when the victor’s option (with God’s help) is so much more delightful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...