Sunday, August 30, 2015

A Proud Father

There are times when a parent sees such large steps of maturity in their child that the pride almost beats out of their chest. In our 10am service on August 30, 2015, Allena is doing a short question- and- answer session with Pastor Kelly in front of the Eastside Community Church congregation about her six month endeavor with Youth with a Mission (see Distracted).
Public speaking is a step outside of Allena’s comfort zone (an un-favorite thing. The four questions she was asked by our pastor were given to her in so she could prepare them in advance. Here are her exact answers (excluding grammar corrections:
Q1: “Allena, how have you grown in your walk with God this past year?”
A1: “I have learned to depend on Christ, and trust Him more. I read The Bible more, and use it as a shield against the Devil. I use to be a lot worse. I had friends that influenced me. I would go and occasionally drink with them, and I would stay out all hours of the morning. I would go to church rarely, and wasn’t acting like a Christian. Now, I am committing my life to Christ and the missionary field.”
Q2: “Tell us what you are getting ready to do in a couple of weeks?”
A2:  “I will be moving to Akron for YWAM (Youth with a Mission) where I will complete 3 months of DTS training (Discipleship Training School), and 2 months of outreach in Haiti. I will be going jobless for months, and sharing a house with about 10 people. I will be giving my life up to Christ to learn where I want to go in life.”
Q3: “Allena, why is this opportunity so important to you?”
A3: “I feel like this will help me figure out what I want to do in life, and to help me choose a career path. At first, I didn’t know what I wanted, but now I have some hope.
Q4: “How can we participate with you?
A4: “I would love prayer, drawings, or cards from the kids! I will miss everyone. And if God leads you to, helping me with funds would be great! This is my first time away from home, and anything will help!
At approximately 10:28am, Allena was called up to the front of the room by the pastor as an upcoming missionary. She was clothed in a royal blue designed maxi dress, braided silver slippers, hair to her shoulders (colored the previous night to a beautiful shade of red and her mom’s has very light shade of purple). Both her notes and her good luck charm were securely in her hands.
Her good luck object turned out to be a warn, taped, sepia-toned, wallet picture of her late grandfather (Robert Zarbaugh) as an eighteen year-old first class Navy seaman in World War II.
The screens in back of Allena showed a picture of her holding a coconut from her one week mission’s trip to Costa Rica with the ECC youth group in the summer of 2014. Allena spoke like a confident pro with the brief time she had. Her only sign of nervousness was her fidgeting hands. (Her memory allowed her to use most of what she prepared above.) This was all good practice for speaking at YWAM in the near future.
I was thrilled to discover the ECC mission’s board supported Allena’s endeavors with a generous check (for the size of our church) at the conclusion of her Q&A session with the pastor. They would also help out with support for her mission’s trip to Haiti in future. (Updates from Allena about her progress in the future would be helpful.)
Many other individuals have also responded positively to our daughter’s plea for financial assistance with YWAM. Allena’s time concluded with group prayer (with Bobbi, me, and the pastor’s parents with Pastor Kelly leading) as the congregation communicated to God at their seats (some out loud and some silently in their hearts). It was all quite noisy, but a wonderful way that I physically felt the love ECC had for Allena. (Bobbi and I were in no way in Allena’s newest adventure alone.)
Sometimes life is so wonderful that one can hardly stand it. Cherish these times. I feel they are a Heavenly Father’s way of demonstrating His love and concern for what is important to us in our daily existence. There is no need to fret anymore God has this time of my life (and Allena) within His control. I must tell myself to inhale fully (all my stupid worries), and exhale with a heart full of praise.
NOTE: The attached selfie of wife and daughter was taken same day as this post (at our church). There is also a picture of Allena’s good luck charm. Airplane in sky backdrop was chosen by Allena. (This is her favorite part of any long distance trip.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...