Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Serve It Up

When I think of models of biblical individuals who were big on service two names come to mind, which are the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37) and Martha (Luke 10:38-42). One aided a wounded man and the other made sure Jesus was comfortable in her home. You may know of someone that thrives emotionally when they are helping those in need. They can always be counted when you are in a pinch (or your back is up against a wall).
Ever since I’ve known my wife, Bobbi, she has been the person that has always gone above and beyond in her life with me. If I ever needed her to go above and beyond what was required, today was that day. Ninety-Five year old Edna had just finished her grocery shopping, and was sitting on a bench (near the front of the store). Edna’s ride had not showed up, and she asked if I could ask guest services to call her a taxi cab.
Edna had no cash with her, and wanted to know if payment for her ride could be paid for with a check. The answer was “no,” and the estimate for payment to her nearby home was $45. It was decided that was unreasonable. I knew there was no way that I would be allowed to take Edna home while on the clock.
I knew someone that would want to be of service if she could safely do it before her counseling appointment. As soon as I called Bobbi, and she agreed to help with a car ride for a stranger on her day off, I knew Edna (and her groceries) would make it safely home (and they did).
I whispered to Edna (before I went on lunch break) that her ride was secure with Bobbi, a store employee and my wife. She thanked me, and I left to go to the break room to eat and rest my legs. When I got back my wife and her passenger were gone, someone else had taken Edna’s place.
A rattled red-faced “Millie” was explaining to one of my leads that she had been waiting in the parking lot (in an unfamiliar car to Edna) for an hour and a half. Millie was a bit upset she could not reach Edna by cell phone, nor could I reach Bobbi (who at that moment was unloading groceries into Edna’s home).
After the fact, there were two questions I wish I would have asked Millie. If it was known Edna had a failing memory, why not wait for her inside the store? Why didn’t the chauffeur notice Bobbi loading Edna into an unfamiliar car? Why hadn’t someone suggest Edna call Millie before things got going?
It’s very important to let any modern-day “good Samaritan” know how much you appreciate all they do. Their acts of kindness are not done for recognition. (They may not even recognize their extraordinary acts of service.)

Being a grateful recipient transforms you into something truly wonderful. You become a more positive individual others desire to be around. I hope you can gain the serving volunteer spirit of my wife; others in this world need what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...