Saturday, July 11, 2015

Wrong Together

If you think about it, there are some combinations that just don’t work. Let me mention a few items, and see what visual images come to mind. For example, think about groupings of furniture, people, food, pets, faiths, and clothing styles.
Our female Chihuahua, Lola, and her Easter dress are described in the post She’s a Lady? Chico is our male dog you may have read about in my post called Nail It Down. My non-medicated adult daughter, Allena, thought it would be hilariously funny to put my wife’s dog in a very feminine dress.
Chico was in no way amused. The tight Velcro on his belly (to fasten the dress on) didn’t put him in the most cheerful mood. The pacing that was done by Chico after getting dressed matched the sour look on his face. I could almost read his mind as his thoughts flowed out something like this, “I’ve given this family the best years of my life, and this is the way I get treated.”
When pacing didn’t get the frilly dress off, Chico’s next option was to roughly slam himself into his blanket hoping the humiliating clothing would magically slip off. When my daughter eventually left the living room for her room on the second floor, Chico was happy when I freed him from his venture into the land of Femaleworld. He hoped to never return to this prison again.

A good friendship takes time to come together in the right combination. Just like you can’t rush a good recipe because it takes time for that item to come out the way it needs to. Take your time in really getting to know someone. If the connection does not happen at first, be persistent and try again later. You can never know what your presence might mean to someone else. Don’t give up on that person no matter how cranky (or uncooperative) they might be.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everything

  “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” (Saint Augustine) It shouldn’t be surprising th...